Robust Lathe near Charlotte

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
My dream lathe is a Robust and I am working toward that goal. I am not sure if I want an American Beauty or a Sweet 16, but I have never laid eyes on a Robust lathe of any configuration. Just wondering if there are any owners within reasonable driving distance of Charlotte that might be willing to let me come and fondle your lathe.

David Ellsworth is a dealer at his studios in Weaverville, NC, but his web site has not been updated since Covid, so I thought I would reach out to this group before I sent him an email.

Wally

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
What do you call reasonable? I'm in Trenton SC.

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I would recommend an American Beaty long bed, 3hp and a gas shock for the tilting tailstock. The mobility casters are worth it too.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I have a Sweet 16 you are welcome to check out. I am in western Union County not far from Stallings.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
2nd the tilting tailstock.

I watched Brent move a lathe to the parking lot at the TAW symposium a couple of years ago to load onto a customer's truck/trailer. Brent used single post bolt on casters. Apparently, the customers didn't want the Robust casters. OBTW, a great way to avoid shipping charges is to buy a floor model at a show.

I've had the need to move mine and use two casters and a floor jack. Need to go buy two more casters sometime. But then, I don't move mine much.

Kind of wish I had the foot off switch on occasion.

teesquare

T
Senior User
I have an American Beauty and the Tilt-Away tailstock is the clincher. You cannot imagine the speed and ease of using it. I have the standard bed, because I can order the add-on bed extension should I ever need it and it is not too much money. The convenience of the standard bed in my space is the better choice - but your mileage may vary. I am SW of Asheville , near Brevard. You can come here and turn on the Robust or the Stubby S750. I am going to sell the Stubby to buy the S1000. It may interest you as well. It is a special lathe....

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
Just wanted to do a shout out and huge THANK YOU to AlanD and Teesquare for responding to my post and allowing me into their homes and shops to look at their lathes. Gentlemen-your hospitality is appreciated more than I can say.

This is not an inexpensive purchase and I wanted to be sure I was on the right track before I pulled the trigger. Now it ia just a matter of calling the factory and getting it into production.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS