RO sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
I'm in the market for a new random orbit palm sander. I currently have the 5" Ryobi VS, and I would like something that is a little easier on my hand (the vibration is a little on the excessive side). I've been told to go with the Porter Cable Quick Sand, but I like the looks of the new Bosch with the micro filter system. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have a PC 333 5", 5 hole pad ROS. There is no vibration that I can detect, and it has served me well for 4-5 yrs. I can't say the dust collection is great, but unless you get a Festool or Fein with the accompaning vac, I don't think that you are gonna find good dust collection. I have hooked my PC to my shop vac but I find the hose to be a real PITA while sanding. I have heard good things about most Bosch tools, so I don't think that you could go wrong with it. My .02 Dave:)

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
Haha yea the only thing a shop-vac hose hooked to a sander is good for is pulling it off of the bench when you put it down!:BangHead:

M

McRabbet

I concur with Dave's opinion of the PC 333 (I have one, too) and you should know that it is available in both fixed speed and variable speed models. I also agree that it is a hassle to hook it to a Shop Vac hose, but I always do to collect the fine dust it generates. Also recommend buying H&L disks for it from Klingspor in boxes of 50.

For a review of RO sanders, check out the second half of the following tool review (first half covers belt sanders): http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/toolguide/TT_PortableSanders.pdf
They liked Bosch and Makita models, but include lots of choices.

NCWood

New User
Gary Davis
Just my opinion, but I am very happy with the Ridgid 5" RO Variable Speed sanders from Home Depot. I liked it so much that I bought a second one, so that I did not have to change discs during jobs. I use both on a daily basis for over a year now, with nary a problem.

I agree toatlly with buying 50 count boxes of discs from Klingspor.

Gary
NCWood

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I have the PC 5" and the Bosch 6" and both are excellent in their own respect. I have also heard very good things about the rigid. I thought my PC had finally died because it completely locked up on me. No complaint, that was after 6 years of heavy use. I bought the 6" Bosch VS to replace it because I do a lot of furniture with large areas. After I got the Bosch, I had nothing to lose so I tore apart the PC. The stupid band that stops the disc from spinning when it isn't on wood had broken and wrapped the shaft. It's back up and running fine. I use the 5 for smaller jobs and the 6 for bigger jobs and finer paper. I do like the VS, slow it down with 400 grit paper to flatten prior to spraying the last coat of lacquer and it does a great job without sanding through. The only pain is 2 different sizes of discs. Using the vac hose was a pain but I got a long hose and connect into the DC overhead. It does a much better job than the canisters and seems to help having the hose overhead. VMMV

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
NCWood said:
Just my opinion, but I am very happy with the Ridgid 5" RO Variable Speed sanders from Home Depot. I liked it so much that I bought a second one, so that I did not have to change discs during jobs. I use both on a daily basis for over a year now, with nary a problem.

I agree toatlly with buying 50 count boxes of discs from Klingspor.

Gary
NCWood

The Rigid 5" for me. Shop vac hose coonects without an adapter, dust collection is great.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
The stupid band that stops the disc from spinning when it isn't on wood had broken and wrapped the shaft. It's back up and running fine

Happened to my PC...used a large O ring.
Joe

M

McRabbet

Same thing happened to mine (after 4 years of use), except it caused my sander to rotate real fast which botched up some door frames I was sanding with 220 grit -- found a replacement at a local hardware that is a big supplier of Makita tools and they happened to have one in stock. I tried to find a big O-ring, but none of the home centers carry them any more. Where did you find one?

bladeburner said:
The stupid band that stops the disc from spinning when it isn't on wood had broken and wrapped the shaft. It's back up and running fine

Happened to my PC...used a large O ring.
Joe

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I think it was from a local plumber. In fact I did. Sitting here typing it started to come back to me. Also, remember using one of my daughter's rubber band things for her pony tail until the next day.
Joe

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
Well, I appreciate everyone's opinions. But, seeing as I'm a major fan of Ridgid tools, and several people recommended it, I think that's what I'll end up with. I think I'm going to check on the prices first, that may just be the deciding factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors