Riving Knife Retrofit Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I have an older Delta Model 36-812 Unisaw (circa 1995) which I have been wanting to retrofit with a riving knife similar to what comes on the newer TS's. Not much luck finding one so far. Even spoke to a Delta rep and came away w/o much help (of course they'd sell me a new saw with the riving knife I'm looking for). My saw runs great so I keep checking different forums to see if anythinig new has developed out there. I'm thinking with all the creative folks around that something will turn up in time. So my question is....does anyone out there know of anything new re: rivinig knives for an older Delta TS? I have a splitter w/blade guard which I use 95% of the time but would like a riving knife to minimize the kickback risk somewhat better than my current set up. I can't be the only one with this issue can I?
Thanks for listening and any input.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I do just fine with a Shark Shorty Splitter. http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php

The BORK (Bolt On Ripping Knife) is the only aftermarket riving knife I'm aware of but have no experience.
http://theborkstore.com/

If you take a good look at this photo of how the Bork riving knife retrofit connects to your saw, you will see a hose clamp. Call me skeptical, but I am not a big fan of this sort of engineering. As much you don't want your saw to kickback a board when you are cutting it, my guess is that having a jury-rigged riving flying at you is any safer.

In many ways, a riving knife is an attempt to idiot-proof a dangerous tool when other options are just as effective. Don't get me wrong, I think that a riving knife is a good idea. But a good splitter and a board hold down like Board-Buddies do an excellent job too. I have a couple of simple jigs that I made that clamp to the table saw that keep the blade from lifting a workpiece.

Pete

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
The BORK has had a good track record for a long time and there have been no reports of any flying parts I'm aware of. The way the smallest flaw gets magnified and made into a major event on the Woodworking Forums, it would have been long ago vanquished to the Hall of Bad Ideas and the owner of the company crucified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS