Rikon or Steel City?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I can't speak for Steel City or lathes in particular however I will say you cannot go wrong with Rikon in terms of customer service. They are wonderful to deal with, offer knowledagble support, and stand behing their products 100%.

Travis

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If I had to pick one, I'd vote Rikon. Steel City looked like an up and comer, but lately looks more like an down and sinker. Not so sure they are going to pull the corner & make it as a company.

However, with that said, I would HIGHLY recommend trying to land a variable speed lathe. You'll get so much more out of it if you can find one!

gator

George
Corporate Member
There have been rumors floating around the various ww forums that Steel City is having problems, marketing, parts availability and customer service. I think I saw some posts on another forum that WoodCraft (or at least some WoodCrafts) were no longer offering Steel City.

George

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
There have been rumors floating around the various ww forums that Steel City is having problems, marketing, parts availability and customer service. I think I saw some posts on another forum that WoodCraft (or at least some WoodCrafts) were no longer offering Steel City.

George

Noticed the new Ridgid saws with granite tops that look similar to the Steel City offerings? Uh, yeah. The manufacturer of Steel City stuff decided to offer that stuff up to Ridgid and as I understand it more/less told Steel City to take a second class seat on the wagon. Between customer support issues (in every forum I've read), lack of parts, and growing pains ... it's a bit of a gamble.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

George

I guess that explains why the SC lathe is on Clearance.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The Rikon was my first lathe and it was great (it is now the Good will lathe). The Steel city granite has one major problem, no extension table. That means a lot of things that the lathe has the power and precision to do can't be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS