Rikon grinder issue / question

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I just bought a Rikon 8" slow speed grinder (model 80-805). When I turned it on the left wheel has some wobble. The right wheel runs true. For those that have this grinder, did you experience this issue? If so, how did you resolve it? Here is what I have already done:

Checked the shaft for run-out. None! Shaft is true.​
Swapped wheels left to right. No difference. Left side still wobbles, right side runs true. Not the wheel.​
Thoroughly cleaned rust / gunk from shaft. Problem still exist. Not the shaft.​
Made sure flanges were dead flat and no debris / burrs. Problem still exist. Not the flanges.​
Followed instructions on pg. 18 of owners manual regarding wobble. No change. Not the owner's manual. :( Not sure about the owner.​
Talked to Rikon tech support. Nice guy. Not much help.​

Now my question is: How much wobble is acceptable? Am I being too picky? As I turn the wheel slowly by hand, the wobble is appx. 1/16" side-to-side. Right now my inclination is to return it and buy another new one and hope it doesn't have the same issue.

Thanks in advance for your sage wisdom, or just your $0.02 worth. ;)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yup, I would take it back.
A 1/16 is not the end of the world, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but since it is not easily solved, you don't know the impact it might have in the future.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
When I bought my CBN wheel from Wood Turners Wonders, they recommended the Spherical Washer set since my wheel has the CBN coating on both sides. With that washer set, it compensates for any wobble that might happen from shaft or wheel misalignment. I tried with and without and the difference was amazing.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I know you said the flange washers are flat, but try swapping them side to side...if I remember right those washers are thin metal, and if they were over tightened during assembly, they may have collapsed...just a thought

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I know you said the flange washers are flat, but try swapping them side to side...if I remember right those washers are thin metal, and if they were over tightened during assembly, they may have collapsed...just a thought
Since you swapped wheels and the wobble didn’t move I would try swapping the flanges.

Thanks Phil & Mike. I should have mentioned I tried multiple combinations w/ the 4 flanges. Didn't make a difference. I'm still baffled, so it's probably going back tomorrow. And you're right, Phil, the flanges are not exactly heavy duty.

And thanks everyone for providing your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
All that checking points back to the vertical surface of the motor shaft that the flange washer rests against...it wouldn't take much runout on that surface to make a lot of difference at the diameter of the wheel.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you using plastic shaft adapters? Try reversing the adapters. If that is the issue, try turning your own from wood or plastic. Check with Don Geiger if you would prefer machine metal ones.

Still, and added cost that doesn't make sense for a new grinder.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
All that checking points back to the vertical surface of the motor shaft that the flange washer rests against...it wouldn't take much runout on that surface to make a lot of difference at the diameter of the wheel.

When I cleaned the shaft of rust / gunk I also held the sandpaper up against that vertical portion of the shaft. I'm certain it is free of any obstacles. However, if the machining of that surface was off even slightly it would account for the amount of runout I'm getting at the outer rim of the 8" wheels. I suppose I could try to fix that w/ a file, but I think I'm just going to send it back and start over.

Thanks again everyone.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bill, I don't think you will ever be happy with the grinder and its wobble. I suggest returning it for a properly functioning machine as well as peace of mind.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd take it back - there was a similar problem with the one's WC used to sell. If you can, get the store you purchase it from to open the box and fire it up. That way you know you're getting one of the one's that passed QC.

One of the advantages of bricks and mortar stores is you can try before you buy.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS