Rikon Bandsaw Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I spent the other night setting up my new bandsaw and was quite pleased with the machine. I even managed to slice a nice thin veneer off a 6x12 piece of cherry. I didn't have a chance to play with it last night. Tonight I re-tensioned the blade and basically needed to reset the tracking and guides. Is this normal?

I also noticed some fairly significant vibration as if the wheels aren't balanced. any thoughts on that? Am I over reacting? It isn't jumping around the floor, but it wouldn't pass any nickle test.

BTW I haven't changed out the original blade yet. I don't know how much or if that is a factor.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That blade is very thin and not balanced, it could be the problem.

Did you flip the tension release lever when you finished last night?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks Mike, I did release the tension last night. That is why I ended up realigning everything. I am kind of leaning toward the blade. I picked up a narrow Timberwolf, but was hoping the wide blade would get me through a couple weeks. :dontknow:

thewoodeye

New User
woodeye
Primary tablesaw mgs. provide a decent blade to be used in their saws.
Band saw mgs, on the other hand, have traditionally put a very low quality blade on their saws...even top end mfgs like Rikon. A good investment would be to buy two basic timberwolf blades. One for general shop use and a second blade for resawing. Follow the instructions on the inside of their label for proper installation. They run looser than traditional blades.
I don't think you should have noticable vibration on the wheels, tires, blades once all set up issues have been addressed.
The Carter style roller bearings are great, but keep an eye on their settings. If that back bearing doesn't get tightened or if it vibrates loose. the blade will push back too far and quickly take the set out of a blade. Then the blade is useless.
Rikon also has an excellent customer service/tech department. Usually you'll get the same people Rob or John. Since they deal with the saw issues everyday, they will be very valuable in offering set up and performance suggestions.

blackemmons

New User
Jim
One cut with the OEM blade on a resaw cut on my Rikon.

Changed to Woodslicer and it was like a totally different machine.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS