Ridgid R4512 Riving knife/splitter question

Volksdad

New User
Glen
I have an ridgid r4512 and was reading the manual online. It says to unlock the riving knife (raised) so that it is flexible... it would deflect back and forth. When it’s is set as a splitter (lowered) you lock the splitter in line with the blade.
This doesn’t sound right. It’s sounds like I am misunderstanding the manual or there is a typo. Why would the knife be loose?

Attachments

• FC464598-0FAA-4660-B787-2788355069C2.png
    FC464598-0FAA-4660-B787-2788355069C2.png
    620.5 KB · Views: 107

Gunnage

New User
Greg
I have this saw, and what I think the manual means is not that it is unlocked, but rather that the black splitter can be in multiple positions. If you play with it a bit, you’ll notice it has 2 positions it wants to stop at. I usually just take it off if I am cutting dados or other non-through cuts.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
I have this saw, and what I think the manual means is not that it is unlocked, but rather that the black splitter can be in multiple positions. If you play with it a bit, you’ll notice it has 2 positions it wants to stop at. I usually just take it off if I am cutting dados or other non-through cuts.
Greg I just read the attachment again- but with my readers. Geez I’m getting old. I misread the instructions... you lock it in either position when you are working. (Which makes sense to me).
I’ve been using this saw for years and I never actually had a manual. I just bought a decent blade for it and wanted to adjust the knife to be inline with the thicker kerf. Anyway.

Is your knife lock as stiff and difficult to lock as mine? I use channel locks to turn it

jpalmer

New User
Jon
I have that saw as well, and yes, the knife lock is very stiff. When unlocking, I have to use a long piece of scrap for leverage.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS