Ridgid R4511 for $460 delivered - is this a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Well,

The last week or so I decided that I needed a better table saw. I'm unemployed and the job search hasn't produced anything so I've decided that I better start making my own opportunities. I am looking at low production runs of small furniture/cabinetry and folk art/decorative pieces that I'll sell through local galleries, flea markets and on the internet. I have the skills and I have found several interested sales points but there are holes in my tool/machine inventory, the biggest of which is the lack of a quality table saw.

I have several older contractor and bench top models (2 Craftsman, 2 Ryobi and Delta), that I'd bought used over the years, but they can't provide the quality I want, especially in the shape they're in. My plan has been to buy a higher end contractor saw or hybrid for now, until I develop enough sales to justify the purchase of a cabinet saw. I want a brand new saw so that I can hit the ground running and avoid any complications that might come with used equipment (another reason for choosing new equipment is the obvious resale potential if financial difficulties require it). Down the road, if I get the chance to look at picking up a higher priced production/industrial model, I'll consider pre-owned saws.

There is a Ridgid R4511 on Ebay for $460 ($369 purchase and $89 freight to Morrisville terminal). Is it really a good deal and is it really an adequate saw for light/short term production work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIDGID-R4511-Gr...ltDomain_0&hash=item5193c3d0ed#ht_1019wt_1137

Yesterday I almost succumbed to the siren's call of the Hitachi C10FL, which Lowe's is offering for $400. I compared it to the C10LA, Hitachi's hybrid contender, and it is practically the same saw except for the cabinet. However, with a 24" right cut and plastic gearing, it really doesn't look like something that could handle even light production. For those reasons, and on the advice of a fellow NCWWer (thanks Eyecode/Salem!), I decided against purchasing the C10LF, despite its pedigree and great price point.

Your advise and comments are greatly appreciated, this is a major commitment for a person in my position, as you can imagine. Salem's already suggested the R4511 so I have one good opinion so far.

Thanks,

Dean

Sully

New User
jay
Just some thoughts that there are some rather serious and believable rumblings that the R4511 has been permanently discontinued by Ridgid and will be replaced by the same saw with a standard cast iron top. Possibly food for thought .....

As for a used tool, there is a Ridgid TS3650 listed in Greenville for $350. It's been listed for a while now (listed before slightly higher). I have not seen the saw in person, but I did get another item from this same seller and it was in immaculate condition. My point is that even though this is used I suspect it would be in like new condition and ready to run. Might even try to negotiate the price ....

J

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Jay,

Thanks for the response and advice. I'm leaning away from the contractors saws, I have a Delta 34-444 that needs a motor that I've decided against repairing because it really isn't a production saw.

I am concerned about a granite top for all the obvious reasons. If Ridgid is coming out with the same saw with a steel top, that might help me make my decision. If I have problems with the R4511's top I it would be nice if I can at least get a steel replacement down the road.

Dean

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
That is a very good deal on a great saw. Home Depot had dropped these saws down to the $300 range when they cleared them out of the store. I paid more than what you are looking at brand new and still think I got a good deal. It is a very heavy saw!

Red

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Two saws for you to consider if you feel like a drive... Jim

Option#1 (Has a router table attached with good price point and could make an affordable mid-term saw)

Option#2 (I've seen this one, it's in great shape and they might be ready to deal as it's been for sale for a couple of weeks)

Glennbear

Glenn
I have had the R4511 for a while now and have been pleased with it. The only caution I would give is to make sure it is not one of the saws within a specific date range that had an arbor recall. I would strongly recommend that you visit the Ridgid forum since there is a wealth of information about this saw there. :wsmile: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/index.php

Last edited:

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Red,

Thanks for the advice. I think for the money it's the best available, whether that price be the original HD price of $599 or the price I found of $460. I did find a Craftsman hybrid OR35505 at one of their outlets for $459 but it'd be a 5 hour round trip to go pick it up. The Ridgid seems like a better saw for numerous reasons, most especially the Craftsman's 25" right cut.

I'm going to wait a few days, see what people say, keep looking at Craigslist and then consider my options.

Dean

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Jim - thanks for those suggestions. I'm considering looking at the Unisaw but the contractor saw I'm avoiding. I want a saw with body mounted trunnion and the increased solidity and mass of a hybrid/cabinet saw. I know the poster for the Ridgid says it's a 'cabinet' saw but you and I both know that's a contractor saw. That's still a great deal for a Ridgid saw AND a Bosch router, thanks for posting it.

Glenn - thanks for the advice. The Ebay ad says "There was a recall on some of this model, these are not within the scope of that recall (different manufacture dates) -- and these have been factory refurbished anyway." I think that addresses the point, thank you VERY much for bringing it up.

Dean

Don Alexander

New User
Don
that ridgid with the bench dog router table and bosch router is a great deal

the router table extension and router are worth around $350- $400 bucks new and if
the picture is for real the saw is in great shape

of course a unisaw in top shape for $700 bucks is a pretty good deal too :gar-La;

Cato

New User
Bob
Dino- I also have the R4511 hybrid saw and for the money, to me, you get a nice leg up over a contractors saw in terms of stability, precision, and dust collection.

The cabinet mounted trunnions are a huge plus, and once adjusted the saw holds its settings, and should be fine for what you intend.

I use mine for ripping only, and it does a fine job on sheet goods, and 4/4 hardwoods, and with careful feed rate I think it probably could cut the occasional 8/4 pieces for table legs and such, but I would probably use a thin kerf blade in that situation.

I am on another forum that has a member with a small commercial shop that uses the R4511 everyday for their cabinet work, and though they would like to step up to a little bigger 3hp when budget permits, they say the saw is a good performer for them.

Price delivered seems a pretty good deal. I paid about the same w/tax when I got mine at HD and had to haul it back in my little SUV.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Bob

Thanks for the response! I'm glad you shared that information - that there's a production shop using one AND that a person can haul that monster in an SUV! I had also been concerned about lugging that thing home from the terminal, what with it's 500 lb weight, but now I'm a little less so!

Dean

Reticle

New User
Brian
I just picked one up from a guy in Murrell's Inlet about a week ago for $325 new in the box and I would have gladly paid another $100-$125 to have it delivered. It fit in the back of my Excursion easily BUT, I had to unpack everything from around the cabinet and remove the table to get it in and out by myself. The unpacking/dissassembly really wasn't a big deal but combined with the 325º Heat Index, I figure it took a year or two off of my life span.

Also, here is one listed in Virginia Beach for $500

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/1820080467.html

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Brian,

Thanks for responding. When I searched the thread on NCWW I noticed that you were asking about one on another thread. It's great to hear that you also aren't disappointed.

If you don't mind, can I ask you how heavy is that top? I know I can man handle a 500 lb crate on the ground but I'm concerned that might also have to disassemble it to get it home properly.

Saw On Dude!

Dean

Reticle

New User
Brian
This is just an estimation, but I would say that the top, sides and base assembly account for 200 lbs. of the crate, easily. After removing them from the crate, I went from :help: to :banana:.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Here's the unisaw I was talking about, they've re-posted it with a picture. Jim

TABLE SAW - $700 (3rd & Greenfield)

Date: 2010-07-12, 12:27PM EDT
Reply to: sale-yzwa8-1838732724@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

DELTA 10" tilt
52" cut
attached stand 76 X 75 1/2

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3na3k83mf5Z55W65X5a7c6a21d83091a511aa.jpg

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Thanks, NOW there's an e-mail address. I'll give that a try as Wilmington is a little far for 'shopping'. I did track down a phone number for them but they won't answer (the address is a business). Maybe they'll answer e-mails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS