REVIEW of a Stanley Scraper Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnick

New User
Nick
Having decided to build each Grandchild a Blanket/Hope chest. I spent months going to all the local Borg's , and seperating out the best SYP I could find, I built this protoype. The final chests well be built from Long Leaf Pine that I logged locally.

Cal_Pine_Chest.jpg

View image in gallery

After scraping all the panel with a card scraper I decided there has to be a better way. So I sarted to surf the web for a "Better Mouse Trap" and decided on a Stanley 112 Scraper Plane. I bought this off Ebay so you know I paid dearly for it. But knowing it was going to be a user and be upgraded I thought is was the best buy.

I used Rust Free from Woodcraft on the sole and cheeks and left them natural, then bead blasted the inside and applied 6 coats of Dupli-Color DE1635 Engine Enamel to the inside. I then replaced the tote and Knob with one's from Droz's Olde Tyme Stanley Totes & Knobs www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com . After reading all the information on the web I replaced the blade with one from Lie-Nielsen. Here is the finished plane

Setting up this plane to work proved to be everything that I read to be true, but it is worth it.

I first honed the blade to 1200 grit paper then after setting the angle and depth it worked, but not great. So I used my burnishing tool to roll a burr on the edge. This worked better but still not great so I started to retune the settings. You can change the angle of the blade as well as the depth of blade. I found that by putting a thin piece of paper under the front of the sole and lowering the blade to a level surface worked best. but you must change the height of the blade each time you change the angle. Here are pictures of the shavings and the Figured Maple that I used for my set up.

Figured_Maple.jpg

This is one fine tool and I recommend that if you only have one hand plane this should be the one.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
What can I say? VERY nice! :icon_thum

Oh, so what are you going to do with the prototype???

pete

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Totally awesome restore! :eusa_clap

Talk about before and after shots.

Can't wait to see the final project, that prototype looks great.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS