Results of a rainy saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryC

New User
Barry
One of my interests is making knives so here are the results of a rainy saturday in the shop.

The top on was made with goncalo alves scales and a Helle blade.
And the bottom one was made of Zebra wood with an aluminum spacer and a Helle blade.

DSCF00822.JPG

DSCF00832.JPG

Last edited:

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Nice knives, Barry:icon_thum...Do the blades come with the profile or do you shape your own?

BarryC

New User
Barry
The blades just as you see them and are very sharp. I haven't gotten into forging blades yet. I want to get the hang of putting on and shaping a handle prefected before I dive in to the forging.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Very nice knives. :icon_thum If they are in your way you can send one of them to me, I'll store it for you. :mrgreen:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The knives are beautiful Barry, and I agree with Tommy, if they are getting in your way then you shuold send him one to store for you. I'll store the other one:lol:. I have one question though, are you sure that the new assembly table is large enough for working on knives:rotflm:.

Jimmy:)

BarryC

New User
Barry
Well Jimmy it is kinda cramped on the table and sometimes I have to rest while walking around to the other side to grad something but I think it'll get the job done.

'Preciate the offers to get them outta my way! The Leopard handled one is being made for a friend to match his Leopard wood bow he has ordered. The smaller one I will use as a neck knife when I go hunting.

I have two more of those blades to work on and a block of cocobolo, a block of bacote, and a block of some kind of ebony from the discount table at Woodcraft. Stay tuned for those pics sometime soon I hope.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Barry,

The knives are beautiful.

Just terrible... those other posters offering to store your knives for you ... shameless... by-the-way, did I tell you when my birthday is?

:gar-La;

Ray

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Wow, that is way cool to me!! Nice. :icon_thum

Although I am severely lacking in artistic ability I have always wanted to make a knife...or a few knives....well, maybe a few fixed blade then try a few pocket knives. :eusa_thin

What do you think of the steel in those Helle blanks?

Oh, man, I think I've found a short term misson here. First, I've got to finish up the current project that has taken over my assembly table...hmmmmmmm...may need to buy a tool or two to get me going on this knife project thing.

"Honey, the dining room table must wait, I need something practical that the whole family will enjoy - knives!" (think LOML will buy this??)

Chuck

BarryC

New User
Barry
Hey Chuck, good luck putting off the table to make a knive or three!

I haven't used the Helle blanks before so I'm not sure how they are going to be in the long run. But there were quite a few recommendations for them on another forum I read so I gave them a try. There is one thing I'm not sure I'm going to like about them and that is the angle of the edge. For hunting knives I like a 20 degree and these are more like 15 degrees so I'll have to use a different knife for the heavy work but I think these will make great capers.

I'll tell you this you really need to tape the edge before you start working with them or you will need a box of bandaids handy. They come really sharp...hair shaving sharp. I still have bald spots on my arms from testing their sharpness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS