Restoring OLD chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
A while back I posted this pic of an old chair that my wife got when her grandfather passed last year:

Chair_Before.jpg

Well, I used some of the good advice from this site and cleaned it up with DNA, Mineral spirits and Lacquer thinner. My wife wanted to keep the rustic look, so I didn't do any sanding or try to dissolve any of the remaining finish. I removed the old seat cleaned the wood with the above solvents then coated the whole thing in some BLO. I then proceeded to weave a new rush seat:

chair_weaving_1.jpg

Chair_weaving_2.jpg

Chair_weaving_3.jpg

Chair_finished_pre-shellac.jpg

So after I finish, my MIL sees it and tells me that they found that chair in an old barn at HER grandfather's place. She's not sure how old it is, but it is likely from the late 1800's... :swoon: - Glad I didn't mess with it too much! Anyway, I want to put a protective finish on it. I have already coated the rush seat with a 1lb cut of shellac. Any suggestions on what to finish the wood (appears to be oak) with?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The chair came out beautiful, Tim. Congratulations! ! ! ! ! :icon_thum

As for a finish on the wood, I don't know that I would do anything other than the BLO you've already put on it. Since it's not going to be exposed to the weather, it probably doesn't need anything more. If you just want to put another coat of something on it, I might try a wiping varnish: thinned varnish or poly. Personally, I think it's beautiful the way it is right now. :eusa_danc

Bill

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
The chair looks great. Nice job :icon_thum

Like Bill said, I'd just leave it as is. If you want something more a bit of wax would be good. Any film finish would detract from the look.

pete

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Excellent restoration. I'll echo everyone else's comments...it's done!

timf67

New User
Tim
Thanks for the kind words everyone - especially since it was my first time weaving a seat! If anyone ever wants to give it a try, I found great instructions at Cohasset Colonials. I think I will again take everyone's advice and just leave it alone. Thanks again everyone! :icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent job on the restoration Tim! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You did one heck of a job weaving that seat. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors