Resources - bath remodel?

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Make sure your tile guy is well versed in shower waterproofing. Lots of options these days but incorrectly executing the waterproofing layer can be a recipe for future expensive tearout.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Henry,

I find tile to be one of the easier tasks but everything is easy after you do it a few times. I use an angle grinder with an abrasive blade to cut ceramic tile. I rent a water cooled tile cutter for marble and granite tile (they crack from the heat of an abrasive blade). I also use what I call a "cracker" that scores and snaps tile - but only tile not natural stone. For tile the equipment outlay is thus very modest. I also use the angle grinder to cut concrete board to go on the floor (it can be scored and snapped but it's hard to get to the fiberglass fibers sometimes with a knife). The toilet hole can be tough if it happens to fall in the center of a tile. It's best to arrange the layout so that doesn't happen. You need at least one trowel with the notch pattern for your tile. I find it best to mix up fairly small batches of thinset because I do not work that fast. A helper for grouting is really nice. It is just like cleaning the floor with a sponge but it has to be done several times in a row and you cannot wait too long or you will have a mess. The water usually has to be changed too so with just me it is a bit of running around. I did the 80 ft2 MBR, the 25 ft2 powder room and one of the guest bathrooms - it's small but I don't know the square feet. I also did the counter in that bath with granite tile (vessel sink on top). I've done tile work in at least the two previous houses too. Walls are easier than floors for cutting because the tile cuts easier.

If you want to get a little experience you can get a few tile, HD and Lowes always have some cheap ones around a dollar a square foot, and an abrasive blade sold to cut concrete or brick and try a few cuts - outside because it is very dusty.

Jim

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Great Jim. I haven't looked into what tile work would entail, but that is a great intro.
Thanks.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
A small point in your planning - install the blocking for handicapped rails in the walls when they are open. It will make things a lot easier if you have to install rails in the future.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Rich - not a point lost on me, but a good reminder.

I have had people say to me that they think these handrails make them look old. My reply is that when were in our 30s we bought our house - that had a handrail installed in the bath/shower combo. My initial thought was "Phhh - I will never use that!". A year later I was so used to that security and stability provided by a single handrail that whenever I used a tub/shower without a handrail I really missed it. You can bet these will go in our renovated space - 'cuz we ain't 30 no more, and because we just LIKE them.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
We had a bathroom replaced, from the beams in, while converting it for handicap accessible two years ago, by Diamond Restoration, who has offices in Concord and Charlotte, maybe Raleigh too. They did a fantastic job and I have recommended them to others several times.

Charley

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
If you have porcelain floor tiles, you will need a diamond blade in your angle grinder and diamond core bits to drill holes. Ceramic tiles aren't as hard and are usually what you use on the walls. Also if you go back with tile floor and backer board you will need to raise your toilet flange which can be easy or not. Plenty of YouTube to watch and find out techniques. Buy extra tiles because you are sure to break a few when you are cutting them.

Roy G

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Roy and Charley - I do have lots to learn if I do much of this myself.
My good friend has a saying: 'Sometimes the best tool in the toolbox is your checkbook'; if that is the case then I know I need a bigger checkbook.

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You can do it Henry. My wife did this all by herself. I have a tile saw you can borrow if you want. It ain't great but it does the job. Porcelain tile with black grout. The box stores have drill bits for tile that work ok but you may need to get more than one set depending on how many holes you have to drill. Start with small bit and enlarge as needed.
Resized_20200311_182457_8642.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS