Resources and prices for Baltic Birch plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I was wondering what people have been paying for 3/4" 4'x8' Baltic Birch veneer plywood sheets, and where they have been purchasing it.

Doug

Monty

New User
Monty
The BB I have found comes in approx 5'x5' sheets. IIRC, it costs a bit over $20 per sheet at Catawba Hardwoods (here in Hickory) last time I checked.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Monty:

A 4'x8' sheet (32 square feet) is $42.95 at HD and Lowes. So your price for 25 square feet looks pretty good assuming the 5x5 sheets lend themselves to the project at hand.

Doug

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Most BB ply I have found also comes in 5 x 5' sheets. I have gotten it from the Hardwood Store of NC at $46.00 a sheet, and viewed it at Captial City Lumber for $73.00 a sheet, both 3/4" stock. Capital City's stuff must be much better (insert sarcastic smilie here)

Dave:)

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Doug,

Usually the sheets at Lowes' and HD are not Baltic Birch. The Baltic Birch has 9 plys in the 1/2" thickness. I get my Baltic Birch at Raleigh Hardwoods on Poole Rd for about $22-$24 a sheet for the 1/2". I have never bought the 3/4", so I am not sure how much more that would be. Check this link for what you are looking for: The Wurth Wood Group.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Monty:

A 4'x8' sheet (32 square feet) is $42.95 at HD and Lowes. So your price for 25 square feet looks pretty good assuming the 5x5 sheets lend themselves to the project at hand.

Doug

What BORG are you finding Baltic Birch ply at in the Triangle area....I want to know? I've never seen it. I've seen Birch veneer ply but not the high quality, voidless, many ply "Baltic" varieties.
Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The "3/4" stuff at Lowes is 11/16 thick and has numerous voids. It has 11 plys plus two microscopic veneers. That's for the full sheets. The 1/4 and 1/2 sheet stuff back by the solid hardwoods is only 5 or 7 ply.

Go

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Wall lumber. Went there yesterday, and didn't buy a thing. Came close though, so close.......

Will probably go back next week. They have an awesome selection and good prices IMO.

charlie s

New User
Charles
A & M Supply in Charlotte. I just bought 2 sheets (5' x 5') this week for 30 bucks a sheet.

Charlie S

CV Poker

New User
Tom#23
The BB I have found comes in approx 5'x5' sheets. IIRC, it costs a bit over $20 per sheet at Catawba Hardwoods (here in Hickory) last time I checked.

Monty, what is Catawba Hardwoods near? Hickory's street numbering is crazy. :eusa_doh:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I was wondering what people have been paying for 3/4" 4'x8' Baltic Birch veneer plywood sheets, and where they have been purchasing it.

Doug

Last week I payed about $34.00 for a 30" x 50" piece of 3/4" BP from Wood craft in Raleigh. .........I didn't really need a whole sheet!

It is very nice lookin' ply for my future crosscut sled(s) etc.). Plus.... I feel like I have provided support to my great local Woodcraft store. (Don't know what I would do without these great folks manning the post at the Raleigh Glenwood store!:eusa_clap )

Wayne

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Prices have changed. Last year (Nov 2005) I paid about $30 for 3/4 BB. Today, I paid $35 for a sheet of the same. Source-Wurth Hardwoods in Raleigh

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
HD in Fayetteville now has the 3/4" poplar ply that I have heard about, good looking material for jigs and such.... again, had I been in my truck, I would have been more tempted to get a few sheets

M

McRabbet

Monty, what is Catawba Hardwoods near? Hickory's street numbering is crazy. :eusa_doh:
Catawba Hardwoods is located on US 321, about 1/2 mile north of where 321 crosses Lake Hickory (Catawba River) and it is on the left hand side.

Rob

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
'RoundUp' in Shelby has birch 5/8" (4' x 8') for $32.00 and 3/4" (4' x 8') for $34.00. NICE stuff....seven significant plys, IIRC...and nice, flat, minimal voids in it. You'll be pleased, I am...bought three sheets of 5/8" for some shop cabs and I'll be back for more. They've got just about every kind of plywood you can imagine and it's all reasonably priced, beautiful stuff. In fact you could make the argument that you could build with either side of this stuff. ;-)

M

McRabbet

'RoundUp' in Shelby has birch 5/8" (4' x 8') for $32.00 and 3/4" (4' x 8') for $34.00. NICE stuff....seven significant plys, IIRC...and nice, flat, minimal voids in it. You'll be pleased, I am...bought three sheets of 5/8" for some shop cabs and I'll be back for more. They've got just about every kind of plywood you can imagine and it's all reasonably priced, beautiful stuff. In fact you could make the argument that you could build with either side of this stuff. ;-)
Rich, I've bought plywood from the RoundUp Store (on the US 74 bypass across from Big Lots) as well, but most of it is B-2 grade, which is fine for shop cabinets as you suggest. And be careful, because their surface plies are pretty thin. I have used their birch in 3/4" for paint-grade customer projects and was pleased with the quality. Indeed, the prices are excellent and the selection is incredible.

Rob

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
Interesting, I thought their surface ply was reasonably thick. I must say the only other comparison I can make is to the China ply that HD was/is selling and that was worse - therefore their product is nice to me! :-D

M

McRabbet

Interesting, I thought their surface ply was reasonably thick. I must say the only other comparison I can make is to the China ply that HD was/is selling and that was worse - therefore their product is nice to me! :-D
Rich,

I found the A-1 Columbia Forest Products White Oak surface veneers to be about twice as thick (purchased at Catawba Hardwoods at $77/sheet for 3/4" stock). B-2 grade has the same heavy veneer at $44/sheet. Catawba carries a Chinese version of Birch B-1/B-2 at $28 (thinner surface veneer) and the comparable Columbia birch runs about $42/sheet. I use A-1 whenever both surface will be exposed; generally I can use 2 sheets of B-2 for every A-1 in most commissioned projects. The client has payed for the quality and should get it. But I don't hesitate using The RoundUp Store's products for Shop cabinets and 1-surface exposed work. Very cost effective.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS