Resawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
Hi, I posted about possibly resawing a 10" wide mahogany board by hand, and after the advice from that post I decided to go with a bandsaw for the resawing, :D. I was also thinking it'd probably be a good idea to run the one face over a jointer to clean up any "discrepancies" ;) I may have left. I was wondering if anyone knew of a shop or space that would rent time on a bandsaw, jointer, and possibly planer. I worked for 3 years in a professional wood shop and have a good deal of experience with milling boards, and would hate to burden the forum again by asking someone to do it. I also know that there is issues with using others power tools in regards to injury. The board is rough sawn 12/4 south american mahogany, 10" wide and 48" long. One face has been planed flat. If anyone has any leads that would be greatly appreciated. And if that isn't really an option if anyone has the time and the tools that would be equally appreciated. Thank you so much... Jonny

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Jonny,

I'd be happy to help. You will probably get lots of respondents as this a very helpful kind of place. FWIW, I have the 12" jointer that you are going to want to have available, as well as a 20" planer—both with segmented cutter heads—and a 24" Agazzani with a 1" Lenox Tri-master CT blade that works well for resawing. Anyway, with that stuff, what you want to do is literally 5 minutes work. add in the required 50 minutes of chit-chat and we could still be done in an hour.
My shop is located off of hwy 70 in North Durham. I fit in the category of "I need to be there" with regards to tool usage, and I'm pretty sure everyone on the site will tell you the same thing. PM me if you are interested; I realize you may get offers that are more conveniently located.

K

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Jonny - no real resaw experience here. So I am not your guy. What you don't say is how thin you want to cut. I presume with your guitar 'signature line' that you are wanting to cut veneer thickness (i.e thin slices), not a rough 12/4 board cut into two serviceable 5/4 pieces. Is that true? If so, it pushes up the BS capability/requirements a bit.

NCSU Craft Center is one possibility for a "rent-a-shop"- not a quick one (you need to join and get trained/certified). There are a few guitar builders here I believe, but I'm not sure I know anyone who regularly slices veneer.

(Edit - I stand corrected. While I was writing this, and off doing other things, Kevin has made a generous offer. So I guess if I want to see his shop, I will have to come up with some need to slice veneer...)

Henry

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jonny,

I'd be happy to help. You will probably get lots of respondents as this a very helpful kind of place. FWIW, I have the 12" jointer that you are going to want to have available, as well as a 20" planer—both with segmented cutter heads—and a 24" Agazzani with a 1" Lenox Tri-master CT blade that works well for resawing. Anyway, with that stuff, what you want to do is literally 5 minutes work. add in the required 50 minutes of chit-chat and we could still be done in an hour.
My shop is located off of hwy 70 in North Durham. I fit in the category of "I need to be there" with regards to tool usage, and I'm pretty sure everyone on the site will tell you the same thing. PM me if you are interested; I realize you may get offers that are more conveniently located.

K

Dang... can i come use your shop too? :D

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Aww shucks...

The good news is that I'm always willing to give tours, put the shop on the shop crawls, and host events like lumber runs, so there is plenty of opportunity to come on by. Perhaps not from Southern Illinois, I'll grant you, but other than that...

K

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Hey Jonny,
you've been here before. you are welcome to come again. today isn't good as I'm iced in but the weekend would should be fine.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
If you could find your way to Eastover, we could do the resawning together. I have everything that is needed. You are more than welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS