Resawing on my Jet JWBS-14SFX Bandsaw

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I bought a new bandsaw last year after being without one since I moved in 2013. I had an old home made 12 inch saw but didn't want to pay to store it until my shop was built. I bought a Jet JWBS-14SFX which is a steel frame, 13 inch resaw capacity, saw with a 1 3/4 hp motor. Until this week I had not resawn hardwood with it. I've still only done three cuts each a little over 40 inches long on 8/4 cherry about 8 1/2 inches wide. But when recent threads came up I couldn't really comment, now I can.

I cut the first piece with the 1/2 inch 3 or 4 teeth per inch (can't remember which) blade I had on the saw. It cut OK but wanted to wander a bit. Not sure if that was the blade, my technique or the wood. But for the two I finished this morning I used the 3/4 blade I had not put on the saw until today. It has a similar number of teeth per inch and cut great. Feed rate could be pretty fast and the cut quality is good. The only real problem I had was the weight of the workpiece. I did not have infeed or outfeed support and holding a piece of wood this big was a little bit of a pain. I ended up coming from both ends on the last piece and will do that again. The cuts lined up well - another indication the saw was cutting well, I think.

I really like this saw. I made little wooden chutes to guide dust to the dust ports and with them dust collection is very good. Virtually nothing collects in the saw frame. I need to move one of the hoses but that is my installation issue, not a fault of the saw. I branched my 5 inch metal duct to 2 four inch flex hoses but I think one 4 inch branched at the saw would work fine. I don't think it heeds two 4 inch hoses.

I still haven't challenged the 13 inch stated capacity of the saw but I probably won't. My little AP-10 planner is only 10 inches wide and I don't see much wood wider than that. So I am pretty sure that this saw will work well for what I plan to do with it.

It doesn't test the saw but I bought it largely for the project I am working on currently, new dining room chairs. I couldn't get the 5/4 cherry close to me so I am cutting down 8/4. But I also rough out the curved back legs on the saw (trimming them to a template on my router table) and the curved back slats. That is going well too.

I bought the Jet because it was on sale for $1000 at the time I bought it. I was considering a similar Rikon and Laguna. I think it deserves to be considered if you are shopping for a high resaw capacity 14 inch saw but I can't say which of these saws is the "best". But I think my Jet is a pretty good saw.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I bought the Jet because it was on sale for $1000 at the time I bought it. I was considering a similar Rikon and Laguna. I think it deserves to be considered if you are shopping for a high resaw capacity 14 inch saw but I can't say which of these saws is the "best". But I think my Jet is a pretty good saw.
Thanks for the user commentary; it's very helpful to hear from actual users.
Sounds like you did well on your purchase - I have an older Jet 14" with a riser block that is likely not even in the same league as yours (so that makes me a tad jealous!). I don't often even consider resawing, except very crudely and when really necessary, but I also have a few decent wood sources pretty close to me.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hi Jim I have this saw and have done a fair amount of re-saw with it and here are some things I found about the saw.
1. IF you can get the ceramic blocks for it, they clean the bad really well, otherwise, the wet wood can bunch up casing tracking issues. If you have the roller guides, what I have done is just screw a piece of 1/4-1/2"ply on the top and bottom. The ply will clean the blade off somewhat, enough to prevent too much build up of wet sawdust.
2. The blade guard had a bit of movement. To resolve this I added a stiffening bracket located inside the upper wheel well. This wasn't a big issue but I tend to get a bit ocd about these kinds of design imperfections.
3. The only blades I use on this now are 1/2 - 5/8 -or 3/4. Blades below 1/2 wide tend to have more drift than I like.
The blades I use are Hook and 3TPI most the time. If you are going to resaw a lot then 3/4 works excellently.
4. My main gripe on this saw is the roller adjustment. It is cumbersome. But, once you got it dialed in this is a very good saw.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Thanks Casey. I bought a 1/4 inch blade at the time I bought the saw but I haven't used it yet. Good to know about wet wood. The wood I am using right now is kiln dried. So no buildup. I found the bottom guides to be challenging to set but the top side rollers are quite easy to set. Some easy, some challenging.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The setting procedure I use is back of both top and bottom set the top back roller until it is almost touching then the sides , then the same on the bottom, the lowers are harder because you have to slightly hold farther back as the screw tends to pull it forward when tightening. Yeah, it is tricky.
One idea I thought of is an internal tooth washer added, probably try that next time I change blades.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS