Requesting volunteers for Moderator positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay and I have tossed around the idea of requesting volunteers from the membership for Moderator positions. We have exhausted all the people we think would be well suited for the role. With the loss of DavidF and some still unfilled forums, we should recruit a few more Moderators. So I pose 3 questions. First, do y'all have any suggestions for members who should/could be asked to join the Mod. squad? Second, how important is it to have two Mods. per forum? I know the principle behind having two Mods., but is it practical when we don't have enough Mods. to cover all the forums.
Third, do y'all think that it is a good idea to ask for volunteers from the membership?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions :-D

Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
See my $.02 worth below.

Clay and I have tossed around the idea of requesting volunteers from the membership for Moderator positions. We have exhausted all the people we think would be well suited for the role. With the loss of DavidF and some still unfilled forums, we should recruit a few more Moderators. So I pose 3 questions. First, do y'all have any suggestions for members who should/could be asked to join the Mod. squad?
I don't have any suggestions, sorry.

Second, how important is it to have two Mods. per forum? I know the principle behind having two Mods., but is it practical when we don't have enough Mods. to cover all the forums.
If we have enough folks it's a great idea. When we are tight it's not so important. I think we have always kinds of watched all the forums, we just would need to know where to direct specific questions/issues that might come up in an "un-moderated" forum. We can always kick those to this discussion forum.

Third, do y'all think that it is a good idea to ask for volunteers from the membership?
Proviidng that we ask that they have some experiene or willingness to learn about that area. Kind of silly, I guess, who would volunteer to moderate something they know nothing about and/or are not interested in?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions :-D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Cathy, I agree with all your answers. If we do go with the volunteer route, the duties and expectations will be fully explained and I think that there should be a "probationary" period to watch out for the overly gung-ho new additions.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Perhaps there could be a 'help wanted' tab on the site nav bar, visible when necessary to fill positions, turned off when all full?

cskipper

Cathy
Oh yeah, when/if we post for help let's not mention the part about having exhausted all the people we think would be well suited for the role...

Monty

New User
Monty
Oops... I thought I had posted a response to this earlier. Must be the phantom penguin menace again!

We can divide up the work any way we want to. There are some forums that have very little activity, so it shouldn't be much to ask some of the mods to perhaps cover several of them. The most active forums still should have 2 mods each, though. If we can't make it work that way, maybe then we can call for more help.

What do ya'll think about that approach?

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I agree Monty. No need to spend resources on a forum that sees few posts. If we do have forums that have very few, how bending the rule that a mod has only 2 fourms. This would only be for lightly used forums.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Good that's what I was wanting to hear. So the general consensus is to not ask for more just reassign the ones we have. We'll make it happen.
Any current Mods. have any requests for different or additional forums?????

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wasn't online much during weekend :crybaby2: However, if you do seek another Mod volunteer I would suggest Wayne (Canuck).

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors