Request from a Woodworker out west

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can you help this guy find a 5/8 x 12 reverse thread nut for his Table Saw?

If so, post here and one of our admins will forward to his email address which we're not posting in open forum. Or PM one of us and we'll give you the address if you need to speak to him further.

Here is the message he sent to our closed forum:

Strange Request I know: My name is Bruce Wilson and I live in Payson, AZ. I have a much older Delta Table Saw that uses a nut on the arbor for securing blade and blades (dados). I’m 81 years old and retired - now making small decorative boxes as gifts for kids and new moms in our hospital here. I have searched all over the net for more than two weeks, including Delta of course, and have been unsuccessful in locating this nut. Now the difficulty is this: It must be exact as specified in the Subject box. I can find many places that have 5/8 - 11 Left Hand Thread - BUT NO ONE HAS 5/8 - 12. Some have suggested it is an ACME thread but I know nothing of this. All I really know is that the Delta Saw - Model 34-444 took, and still does take, a 12. This might be something someone has had for a spare since the saw is old - 1988, but cuts dead exact with all blades, dados, jigs, etc…….. It has a Delta Unfence attached also. I’m at a loss, but knowing the reputation for the Carolinas and quality woodworking I thought you might be able to assist. Of course I would pay for any expense incurred should someone be able to help…………. If not then nothing changes - I’m still dead in the water. Appreciate you reading this and pass on my best to you and yours for a Happy Thanksgiving……….. Bruce - Payson (Where the West still lives.)

wooduser

New User
Lecil
Based on the model number her is the info from the delta website it is still available
19.47 is the price

sandfarm

Joe
User
Without going to find the my left hand thread tap. Is this 12 threads/inch still used on newer models?
I had mine made at the machine shop. I had to buy the tap. But it is a simple process. If it is the same as my tap, I will see if I can have one made for him.
Joe

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
The same Acme thread was used on all right tilt Delta saws made since at least way back in the 50's or earlier. I went through this on the same model 34-444 Delta saw that I bought and set up for my son. It's pricey, because it's a left hand thread, but any Delta left hand arbor nut for a right tilt saw should work fine for him. I think I bought the one that I needed from www.ereplacementparts.com.

Charley

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have one that came off a right tilt 1948 uni. I'll have to find it. If he doesn't get one somewhere else let me know.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Holding TWO in my hot little hands. PM me an address, I'll get one in the mail tomorrow. From one Bruce to the other.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
An older Delta nut will be the best bet. Those were square threads despite people calling them "acme" threads. Often an inexperienced observer will define the any flat topped thread as acme and sharp ridged threads as "standard". Put an old arbor under the magnifying glass and you'll see. The more modern Unisaws (maybe after 1999) and many modern replacement nuts will indeed be acme and won't fit properly. Its one of those frustrating little 'gotcha' details in modern commerce of parts intended for older equipment.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
While it should be no surprise, since I have seen this over and over again here in NCWW, I was blown away by your response to a total stranger in need. NCWW members ROCK....

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I received this response from the original requester when I linked him to this thread via email.

Thanks everyone for attempting to help him out, but he seems to have found a good solution.

Here is what he sent:

Well Ken I sure thank you and I’m sorry you have gone to all this trouble for me. Yesterday, a fellow in the Charlotte Woodworkers Assoc. contacted me and informed me that a member had told him that Grizzly Industrial had this and he sent me the information that follows: "Grizzly industrial sells a 5/8-12 arbor nut. It is part number P0605X1135 and costs $5.” Now please advise all in the event that they may need, at some point, an Arbor Nut. I ordered it then and it has been shipped. Now Ken, the amazing thing is that you are the 5 person who has contacted me with information on what they thought might be a solution. To have people like this, and yourself, who put themselves out to assist, renews my faith in the human race - at least in the confines of the U.S. So please pass on my thanks to all, and should you ever come our way, we would be pleased to meet. Hope you, the members, and yours have a great Thanksgiving…….. Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS