Request for assistance - machining pvc fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I need to make a custom male-male pvc union. To do that, I need to machine the stubs on two stock plumbing unions so they fit inside each other. Reduce the OD on one fitting and increase the ID on the other fitting so that they mate for gluing.

Is there someone out there with a machine lathe that'd be willing to take this on ?

These are 2" fittings with a .235" wall thickness, so nothing exotic.

Happy to pay for shop time.

Thanks in advance,
-Mark

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Mark,

Maybe I don't quite understand what you trying to describe, but wouldn't it be easier just to get a 2" union to join the two pieces?
Cheers,
Bernhard

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That doesn't sound like it would be too difficult on a standard wood lathe with a good chuck. Chuck up the piece that will become the female section and use a gouge and scraper to increase the ID by ~ 1/8". The chuck up the other piece that will be the male section and reduce it's OD by ~ 1/8". Sand to fit. PVC should be very easy to turn, and a higher speed would make it smoother. It can't be too different than acrylic pen blanks.
I would be willing to help, if you think that my solution is feasible, although I think that you have a lathe and are fully capable
Dave:)

CaptainCowie

New User
Marcus
I agree with DaveO. If you have a wood lathe I don't think it would be to bad to turn them to where you need them. Just take your time and check them often.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Be careful if you do this. PVC is very slick & may try to torque out of the chuck. The other problem will be getting the jaws tight enough to hold the coupling without distorting the fitting. May want to try & find someone with a 6 jaw chuck. Altermate method: screw a fit inside plug to a faceplate & then screw the fitting to that. You'd have to make 2 plugs - 1 for original I. D. & 1 for finished I. D. to turn the second end.

Glennbear

Glenn
In lieu of the machining have you considered a Fernco fitting ? They are rubber with SS screw clamps

nelsone

New User
Ed
I'd think you could buy a fitting for what you describe. If not turn a couple wooden plugs to fit the ID of the PVC and turn between centers.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That sounds like a plumber's no-hub coupling to me. They are used on cast iron no - hub pipe for sewer connections & are readily availabe @ BORG stores.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Guys - I think I fixed my problem (fingers crossed) but the essence of the problem is that the finished male-male union can't be more than a certain height or it will not fit into the available space.

The traditional approach would be to glue both unions into a 2" coupler..but that creates a fitting several inches too long.

I ended up sawing about 1/4" off the stub on each coupler and gluing a 1.5" pipe inside to act as a connector. This just barely fits in the available space - fits with plenty of cursing !

It was tense going since one of the couplers is no longer in production, and all the suppliers are citing a 2-4 month lead time for a replacement.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS