Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
ScottM has reported a post.

Reason:
My first concern is this should be under the wood forum but I am more concerned that this is a commercial seller trying to get around the system. Any one have info on this guy?
Forum: Where Can I Find, Buy or Sell
Assigned Moderators: ptt49er

Posted by: WillGross
Original Content:
Does anyone need/want or know anyone who might need/want 1/2" or 5/8" Guatambu plywood? Guatambu is a South American species very similar to Baltic Birch. It's also known as Pau Marfim and Ivorywood. And I have a lot of it.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I agree that it should be under Wood. I also share your concern that it could be masquerading as a commercial offer and that this may well be their only reason for joining the site (join date 4/24/2012). His occupation is described as "plywood sales" in his profile.

M

McRabbet

At a minimum, just move the thread to the Wood Forum and keep an eye on it.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I'm going to act like I'm interested and see what kind of response I get back.

In looking at that thread I am almost 100% he is a commercial seller trying to get around the system.

MikeH

New User
Mike
On another note, I'm good friends with ptt49er and he just sold everything out of his shop and they've moved into an apartment. I think it's a pretty safe bet he won't be on NCWW much for a while. We should probably reassign his forum to someone else. He hasn't even been on the site since 3/29.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is the note I sent to Will:

Will, please explain the source and nature of this plywood. NCWW does NOT allow any commercial sales through any of our forums or classified ads. Reading through the thread it does appear you sell plywood as a commercial venture. Ads for commercial suppliers can be purchased on a quarterly basis. Until this matter is resolved we have closed the thread to all further posts.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
On another note, I'm good friends with ptt49er and he just sold everything out of his shop and they've moved into an apartment. I think it's a pretty safe bet he won't be on NCWW much for a while. We should probably reassign his forum to someone else. He hasn't even been on the site since 3/29.

Mike too bad about PTT49er...Thought something was happening by his lack of activity. The new web master will likely revamp the moderators and assignments. I do not see any harm letting this ride until then.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike too bad about PTT49er...Thought something was happening by his lack of activity. The new web master will likely revamp the moderators and assignments. I do not see any harm letting this ride until then.

The move and all is for the best. They are downsizing to be able to get out of debt and save money to buy a house in a couple of years. He'll be back. :icon_thum I know he'll be on from time to time, but without a shop it will be limted.

MikeH

New User
Mike
After a little Googling I've found Will's business HERE. The name of the company is Gross Veneer and the contact at the bottom of the page is Bob Gross.

Scott did you get a response from Will?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I sure hope the new board will review this policy. I am looking at this thread and in general, I don't see anything that is not in the best interest of our users. First and most important, I don't think this is trying to get around anything. He has made it clear that he is a commercial seller. And more important, there is interest in his product. I think perhaps, that this guy is just ignorant of the policies about selling. I'm not saying he should be allowed break our policies, but I am saying that if our policies disallow bring good deals to our members, we should re look at the policy.

We used to encourage Woodcraft, Klingspor, etc. to join our site and when they had something special they wanted to bring to our attention, we encouraged them to start a thread. I assume that is no longer allowed. I know that a couple of our advertiser complained that some people were using classifieds, to sell things who were commericial and they thought it was unfair. It may be, I don't know. But I'm for looking at this whole thing.

Just an extra comment. I know one thing that I would be against. Advertisers dictating our policies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve it is always wise to review policies as things do change over time. It this instance Will replied with:

"I should have paid more attention to the rules before I started the thread. I do sell plywood commercially, so by all means keep the thread closed. I apologize for my misunderstanding."

I did urge him to stick around and told him it would be proper for him to reply to threads where members ask where they can find......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS