Reported post by MikeH

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

New User
Gary
No, worries. Since I started the thread, I decided to delete it. Wasn't really going anywhere anyway.:gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
While I was typing a reply the thread was deleted. Since I hate wasting electrons, here is my thoughts for y'all :gar-La;

I too had to go to Wikipedia for a definition. Reading the entire article I saw that there is a diversity among adherents and their practices. here is the most relevant passage:

Freeganism is an anti-consumerist lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources.
Freegans "embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."

Some of this philosophy resonates with me especially the cooperation part. I belong to an electric co-op and I like that model. At our last annual meeting I approached the CEO about getting the NC based credit union that the co-op employees use opened to our members here in VA. Yesterday I spoke to one of the co-op executives and the proposal has been approved by our board of directors and just awaits similar approval by the credit union board. The USA is a capitalist society but in some sectors capitalism has been perverted by excessive greed so there is incentive to use the co-op/credit union model where profit to select individuals is replaced with mutual benefit to all the members.:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS