replacing Workmate tables

JMcanoe

Jim
User
I have a couple of old B&D workmates that need new tables. Each piece is 5"x29"x1". I'll need 4 total and will use the old ones as a template for the holes. I'll also be putting a v-groove on the clamping edge of each.

Has anyone else done this? I'm wondering about the best material to use - something that is durable and will stay flat. I've thought about 3/4" plywood with a 1/4" hardwood veneer, but I'm a little concerned about the edges of the plywood starting to fray with use. I could always edge band as well, but that's seems like a lot of work for 4 pieces - plus the holes would still be subject to wear in the plywood.

I've thought about 1" birch ply (or 2, 1/2" laminated together), but that could get a little costly.

Any thoughts on a type of hardwood that wouldn't cup, warp or twist if used by itself (and that would be reasonably priced for 6 bd ft)?

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Not a wood but:
High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Sheet
You can cut/drill/route/tap/shape with your wood tools and it will last much longer.

A quick look on the web showed 0.75" 12" x 48" piece for ~$40.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Although Ken makes a great suggestion you could use Baltic Birch ply as well.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I purchased to B&D JobMate in Canada in 1978. It came with a steel skin over the plywood table...

JM_1.jpg

I just added a piece of 2x4 3/4" MDF to the whole top that I attach with 3/8" carriage bolts and knobs when I need an expanded work surface. Just takes a couple of minutes to set it up and results in a flat, elevated surface for assembly, support or finishing work. (Toy box in the process of finishing.)

Just a thought....

Wayne

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
My tables are still in fairly good shape, barring a saw kerf here and there, and are constructed of what appears to be phenolic coated/painted high quality particle board.
That being said, if I were replacing mine at this time, I would probably go with this product from Menard's.
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...m-forming-plywood/1235020/p-1444441905347.htm
I know we don't have a Menard's close but a search for "concrete forming Ply" should turn up something.
I just wish I could find the plywood available without the phenolic surface.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I replaced mine probably 20 years ago. used 3/4 ply I had left over from some project. Its about time to replace them again. I don't need them to outlive me.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wouldn't 3/4" MDF work well unless it would get wet somehow. If it gets wet, it is done for. Hard Maple if you're going to use hardwood. It can be very straight grained and tends not to warp.

JeffH

Jeff
Senior User
I replaced mine with 3/4" plywood that was left over scrap from other projects. They've been fine. I'll probably get another several years out of them and then do the same thing again. Total cost: $0

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have a couple of old B&D workmates that need new tables. Each piece is 5"x29"x1". I'll need 4 total and will use the old ones as a template for the holes. I'll also be putting a v-groove on the clamping edge of each.

Has anyone else done this? I'm wondering about the best material to use - something that is durable and will stay flat. I've thought about 3/4" plywood with a 1/4" hardwood veneer, but I'm a little concerned about the edges of the plywood starting to fray with use. I could always edge band as well, but that's seems like a lot of work for 4 pieces - plus the holes would still be subject to wear in the plywood.

I've thought about 1" birch ply (or 2, 1/2" laminated together), but that could get a little costly.

Any thoughts on a type of hardwood that wouldn't cup, warp or twist if used by itself (and that would be reasonably priced for 6 bd ft)?
White Oak

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you don't have ready access to any of the above items, 5/4 x 6" select decking, treated or composite if you want a slick surface.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
If you ever wondered how they got their start....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS