Replacing an hvac condensate pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
My HVAC system has not been meeting my expectations recently. During a scheduled cleaning and diagnostic checkup by an HVAC company, they identified that the pump was not working properly. It turned out that the condensate pump stopped working and the safety switch prevented the compressor from turning on. HVAC company wanted $250 to replace it, which was in addition to the $99 price of checkup. It's a sub $50 part that takes 5 minutes to install, so I did it myself. I had the tech bypass the pump so he could complete the diagnostic work.

Here's the write up on how to replace an HVAC condensate pump.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
My HVAC system has not been meeting my expectations recently. During a scheduled cleaning and diagnostic checkup by an HVAC company, they identified that the pump was not working properly. It turned out that the condensate pump stopped working and the safety switch prevented the compressor from turning on. HVAC company wanted $250 to replace it, which was in addition to the $99 price of checkup. It's a sub $50 part that takes 5 minutes to install, so I did it myself. I had the tech bypass the pump so he could complete the diagnostic work.

Here's the write up on how to replace an HVAC condensate pump.

I replaced mine a couple years ago too, but never called for service. I just had a whole lot of water on the basement floor and went looking. I hate it when contractors need to gouge people for things and thats what that is , plain and simple, a gouge. The pump cost me , I think $32 and literally 5 minutes to install.

manfre

New User
Manfre
What contractor were you using?

My wife found the company off Angieslist. They had good reviews and the tech, Curtis, showed up was on time, was friendly, and didn't do any of the high pressure sales crap that is associated with the hvac companies that give their techs a commission.

I can get you the contact information if you are looking for an hvac company to clean and do a checkup, but it wouldn't be fair to single them out for gouging, when it's an industry standard practice.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
before we start accusing companies of gouging lets take a quick look at their costs to provide services to the public. it costs money to get into business and even more to stay successful and remain in business. between workers comp. general liability insurance, business licensing, vehicle purchases and upkeep, gas, tools, training and warranty, taxes ect, ect. ect. a good portion of their pricing vanishes pretty quickly. Sure it is cheaper to do it yourself but when it goes haywire who's gonna fix what you screwed up? 300 -400 bucks for a HVAC service call is not out of line IMHO and I for one will gladly pay for the peace of mind knowing it was done right and is guaranteed for x amount of time to keep working. we are all more than willing to pay doctors and lawyers for the services they provide so why should we whine about the trades trying to earn a living as well? :dontknow:

FlyingRon

Ron
I've replaced the pump on my heat pump. The pumps are available for under $100 from the home center, and it's a no brainer putting it in.

manfre

New User
Manfre
before we start accusing companies of gouging lets take a quick look at their costs to provide services to the public. it costs money to get into business and even more to stay successful and remain in business. between workers comp. general liability insurance, business licensing, vehicle purchases and upkeep, gas, tools, training and warranty, taxes ect, ect. ect. a good portion of their pricing vanishes pretty quickly. Sure it is cheaper to do it yourself but when it goes haywire who's gonna fix what you screwed up? 300 -400 bucks for a HVAC service call is not out of line IMHO and I for one will gladly pay for the peace of mind knowing it was done right and is guaranteed for x amount of time to keep working. we are all more than willing to pay doctors and lawyers for the services they provide so why should we whine about the trades trying to earn a living as well? :dontknow:

Arguing about whether $600-800 per hour is a fair rate for hvac service is not in scope for this post. To avoid any issues I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS