Replacement container for wipe on poly

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
The top on a mostly full quart size metal container of wipe on poly is stuck. The metal cap is stuck on so tight that the plastic cap separated from it. I plan on making a hole and then pouring it in to another container, but I'm not sure what I can put it in besides metal.

Anyone know of a place that sells the same style empty container? Trying to search for "empty metal can" yields way too much noise.

Can I store wipe on poly in a opaque plastic bottle?

manfre

New User
Manfre
Is that regular paint cans or this style?

B611100E6.jpg

I'm looking for the latter because it pours easier.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Use an adjustable plumber's pliers of sufficient size to grip the cap. Use it to get the cap off. If the plastic cap breaks, no big problem. Just grip the under-cap with the pliers and you should get it off.

If you have one, use a heat gun and heat up the metal under-cap. That will soften the finish that is hardened on the threads making removal easy. When resealing the can, use a piece of waxed paper over the spout and then install the cap. The waxed paper will lubricate the spout and cap threads so later removal is easy. Also, wipe the spout threads with paper towel wetted with mineral spirits and then wipe dry.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I routinely keep varnish, wiping varnish, thinner, etc in margarine bowls overnight and longer between uses on a project (I don't ever return decanted material back into the original container), and have never had any dissolve the container or harm the coating. These have a recycle code of 5 on the bottom.

For longer storage, I have also used plastic peanut butter jars (code 1) and HDPE containers (code 2) with well-sealing lids successfully. I try to select ones that fill almost to the top to minimize oxygen, and also store them in a closed cabinet (out of sunlight) for coatings that are photosensitive, altho you could also wrap them with duct tape to keep out the light.

Hope this helps

Go

CLetts

New User
Carl
For years now, whenever I open a new can of finish I'll pour it into a wide-mouth mason jar and vacuum seal it. The wide mouth allows me to dip a paper cup (the 3 oz. size used in bathrooms), in for removing what I need. Also, replacement lids are pretty cheap. Since doing this, I haven't wasted or lost any finish to "curing in the can".

gator

George
Corporate Member
For years now, whenever I open a new can of finish I'll pour it into a wide-mouth mason jar and vacuum seal it. The wide mouth allows me to dip a paper cup (the 3 oz. size used in bathrooms), in for removing what I need. Also, replacement lids are pretty cheap. Since doing this, I haven't wasted or lost any finish to "curing in the can".

+1

Check the grocery store or I got mine at ACE Hdwe. I bought a case of pint canning jars and use them for finish storage, mixing/storing shellac etc. Best I can find for the job and cheap too.

George

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I just had a thought!:widea: [scarry huh!] Is there any reason not to use plastic? :icon_scra Empty quart oil containers could be cleaned out and re-used for this. Squeeze the air out and reseal when you're done.:dontknow: Make sure to label em!:gar-Bi Poly wont work well in your engine:wwink:. If anyone questions it just tell em it's a NEW OIL finnish you're developing......:rotflm:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I routinely keep varnish, wiping varnish, thinner, etc in margarine bowls overnight and longer between uses on a project (I don't ever return decanted material back into the original container), and have never had any dissolve the container or harm the coating. These have a recycle code of 5 on the bottom.

For longer storage, I have also used plastic peanut butter jars (code 1) and HDPE containers (code 2) with well-sealing lids successfully. I try to select ones that fill almost to the top to minimize oxygen, and also store them in a closed cabinet (out of sunlight) for coatings that are photosensitive, altho you could also wrap them with duct tape to keep out the light.

Hope this helps

Go

I too use recycled margerine or cottage cheese containers. Most wipe-on oils will keep for a few months w/o a problem, especially if you give them a squire of Bloxygen before putting the lids on.

Shop mixxed up finishes such as Gregory Paolini's wipe on varnish can be mixed and kept for months in plastic drink containers, also with a shot of Bloxygen. I prefer using the juice containers that have a wider mouth and cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS