Replace shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but..... :dontknow:
My shower has developed serious leaks and has soaked the sub floor. I would guess that whoever installed it did not use the latex liner that nust be used on the floor. It looks as if I need to rip it out to the studs and replace it. I'm not sure what to replace it with: pre-fab or something like corian. I'm tired of trying to keep the joints caulked or re-grouted.
Can anyone recommmend someone they have used for bath projects that have experience and skills to solve this kind of problem.

gritz

New User
Robert
There is an active NARI chapter near you. Try those members. I'm a retired contractor and when I had one to do, I had a custom shower base poured in "granite" by a faux marble company. After setting that I installed tile walls over sealed and waterproofed cement board. The tile laps over the lip of the base and I caulked the intersection in a way it can't be seen. We love the look, cleanliness, and functionality. First cost is somewhat higher, but it never has to be re-done except for aesthetics.

You can also do this one yourself.

gritz

New User
Robert
Hopefully the picture will be attached now.
DSCN0672.JPG

View image in gallery

DSCN0672.JPG

View image in gallery

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Robert - that looks like a one-piece base (?) so no PVC membrane would have been installed under it.

You need to find where the water is coming from..could be as simple as a failing seal around the drain.

That looks like an expensive shower..I would be loathe to tear it out w/o understanding the source of the problem.

-Mark

gritz

New User
Robert
The pic was to show how to do the shower repair with a cast base. Confusing some, but helping others, I hope.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The age could help to indicate what the original construction method was. My in-laws had a shower fail that had a metal pan in-between two layers of mortar. It failed where it connected to the drain - after about 30 years. Most recent construction has a pre-made base of some sort. If the base is tile, then a plastic membrane in the mortar base is normally used. I have a couple one-piece showers. The base and walls are all one piece of molded fiberglass. If they leak (a neighbors did), it is usually that the screwed connection on the drain outlet has come loose. We tightened my neighbors and it worked fine again.

I like the look of the corian or fake marble base and it is more of a high end look than just using a molded base from the home center. I think a friend who builds a little on the side said you could get them made up by counter top fabricators around here. Putting a one piece base in with either a sheet product - marble look or otherwise - or tile on the walls is a do-it-yourself friendly project. A tile base is more involved but there are new products to simplify that too (the back of fine homebuilding is one place to look for manufacturers). They typically use a foam product to get the slope to the drain and a membrane on top under the tile.

Jim

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but..... :dontknow:
My shower has developed serious leaks and has soaked the sub floor. I would guess that whoever installed it did not use the latex liner that nust be used on the floor. It looks as if I need to rip it out to the studs and replace it. I'm not sure what to replace it with: pre-fab or something like corian. I'm tired of trying to keep the joints caulked or re-grouted.
Can anyone recommmend someone they have used for bath projects that have experience and skills to solve this kind of problem.

Unless this leak started day one, I'd check the connection between the shower liner and the drain. I've seen leaks on the supply side of the shower run down the wall, looking like a floor pan leak. I can't imagine anyone installing a shower without the code required floor pan.

If the leak is at the drain and the vinyl floor pan, you should be able to carefully cut out the floor tile and the mortar base and get a plumber to repair it for you. It's not a real big job - definitely better than demolishing the entire shower.

Pete

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
Check out www.tileyourworld.com and read up on the Kerdi shower system. There are a LOT of very knowledgeable and helpful people on the site (as well as the occasional grouchy curmudgeon) and I'm sure you could get lots of expert assistance. I've got John Bridge's books, you're welcome to borrow 'em if you like (although having said that John is a very nice and helpful guy who's invested a lot of time in this, so if you find them useful I'd encourage you to buy the books).

I came across the site when I was in exactly the same shoes as you are- I woke up one morning to wet carpet in my bedroom, turns out the valve body in my shower had been leaking. I like to think I'm pretty handy, but had never taken on a project like this. After spending several hours on that site I decided to give it a shot. Took me 3 months but I didn't encounter any real problems and everything came out water tight. I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll only put a few photos here, but there's more in my gallery.

On a separate note, have you called your homeowner's insurance? I didn't even think of it, someone suggested it to me- I had an adjuster out two days later and a check for $4000 by the end of the week (I actually came out with a bit of a profit if you don't count my labor). Good luck with it- it can be a bit daunting to start, but take it a step at a time and you'll be amazed at what you can do!

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Great forum suggestion. Also, thanks for the insurance suggestion. Never thought of that.
Thanks for the directions.
Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS