Replace or Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
I have a question for the seasoned woodworkers,
In relation to portable power tools, specifically in this case a Porter Cable 505 sander. I purchased this one new
in 2001. At that time it was billed as a quality tool. It needs new bearings. I have been told by repair "professionals"
and I use this term loosely, it's not worth repairing. I have looked at new 1/2 sheet sanders and they are lots of plastic.
In my opinion, the new ones will not hold up as this one did. Have we really come to the era of disposable power tools?
I know about the large "vintage" tools. I have a few I have restored. Should I spend $45.00 to repair this one or should
I just chunk it and buy new? Advice appreciated. I forgot to ad, In my search for new I find that Festool has a 1/2 sheet for
around $350.00. While I do use these sanders quite extensively I really cannot justify the price.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The Makita BO4900V half sheet sander goes for $162 on Amazon right now. Used Porter Cable 505’s for about that price on eBay. If you like the 505 as much or better than a new Makita, then $45 to repair it seems quite reasonable to me.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I agree with Jim and I also wonder how hard it would be to buy the bearings and replace them yourself.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I would at least take it apart and see what bearings you need. Unless they are made of Unobtanium you might be able to buy them for $25.00 TYD or less. I would suspect that it is the pad side bearing, but might as well replace both if you in that deep. It would also allow you to see if anything else looks to be at the end of usable life. If you can take it apart and put it back together then replacing the bearings is about the simplest part of the job.

Take a look at the bosch line. I've had very good service from them, but I haven;t bought one in at least 6 years.

Wish you were closer. I've got most of the tools.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
I agree with Jim and I also wonder how hard it would be to buy the bearings and replace them yourself.
Replacing them isn't a problem. In fact I have it apart. It just seems a waste to toss what seems to be a good woodworking tool. This sander has just enough weight it is almost effortless to use. This one has actual ball bearings. I am seeing some of the new ones have bushings.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
New bearings, new brushes, and a new pad for behind the sandpaper are likely all that it needs to be good as new. If you buy a new one, send this one to me. I'll rebuild it and give it a good home for the rest of our lives (the sander and me).

Charley

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
New bearings, new brushes, and a new pad for behind the sandpaper are likely all that it needs to be good as new. If you buy a new one, send this one to me. I'll rebuild it and give it a good home for the rest of our lives (the sander and me).

Charley
Im with Charley!

old-delta

Wes
Senior User

Charley

Very good point. I think I will repair it. With the use it's had it owes me nothing lol

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

It depends upon whether you have the gear to remove the old bearings (though one can cheat and cut them off) and then install the new bearings on the motor shaft (they are usually an interference fit). This usually means heating the new bearing (but without overheating and destroying the grease) and then very quickly installing it on the shaft before it has a chance to cool (which will occur almost immediately).

If you have never done so before you'll probably want to order an extra pair of bearings -- you'll either mess up on the first try and need them, or you won't and you'll have your next spare set.

For a sander you will want to use for shielded bearings to help prevent waste from finding its way into the bearings.

We have largely reached the point of a throwaway tool culture when it comes to the cheaper tools -- just like modern electronics. But it is still worth repairing a tool you really love (provided parts can be found) or some of the higher-end tools that are still on the market.

As Charles points out, you will also want to plan on replacing the motor brushes (there are two) as they are probably pretty well worn -- and if they still have life left in them you'll eventually need those brushes any how. For some tools the rule of thumb is one brush set to every two bearing changes (provided bearings are changed at specific hourly intervals, not when worn out), but with other tools (with shorter brushes) the change ratio can be 1:1.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
It depends upon whether you have the gear to remove the old bearings (though one can cheat and cut them off) and then install the new bearings on the motor shaft (they are usually an interference fit). This usually means heating the new bearing (but without overheating and destroying the grease) and then very quickly installing it on the shaft before it has a chance to cool (which will occur almost immediately).

If you have never done so before you'll probably want to order an extra pair of bearings -- you'll either mess up on the first try and need them, or you won't and you'll have your next spare set.

For a sander you will want to use for shielded bearings to help prevent waste from finding its way into the bearings.

We have largely reached the point of a throwaway tool culture when it comes to the cheaper tools -- just like modern electronics. But it is still worth repairing a tool you really love (provided parts can be found) or some of the higher-end tools that are still on the market.

As Charles points out, you will also want to plan on replacing the motor brushes (there are two) as they are probably pretty well worn -- and if they still have life left in them you'll eventually need those brushes any how. For some tools the rule of thumb is one brush set to every two bearing changes (provided bearings are changed at specific hourly intervals, not when worn out), but with other tools (with shorter brushes) the change ratio can be 1:1.

Since the posting I took it apart. Was able to get the three bearings out. Have the new ones on the way so hopefully will have it running soon. Kinda glad I didn't buy new because to be honest the ones in the big blue and orange boxes just appear to be very cheaply made. Certainly don't think they will last like this one has. Seems a shame gone are the days of quality tools that last forever.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Next time go by Fastenal and pick up your bearings. They should cost you less than two bucks each. If they don't have them, usually next day from warehouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors