Repeat with better photos

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It wasn’t uncommon to build with different woods, however, at that age the door could have been a replacement somewhere in its journey. that would not be unheard of.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Those knots cinch it for me. I'll say walnut also. The interior looks like a pine, a typical secondary wood of the times.

Billm0066

Bill
User
That is really cool. So awesome to think it was made that long ago. How much do you think it is currently worth? I would love to own something like that.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Very nice piece. Love those very skinny spindle columns. Very difficult to handle the hood with those in place.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is really cool. So awesome to think it was made that long ago. How much do you think it is currently worth? I would love to own something like that.
Indeed this piece is cool. I grew up listening to this old clock ring every hour in my fathers house and now it is in my house. It groans a bit more before it rings but I would too if I were that old. I am getting it appraised for proper estate documentation and insurance. The value they determine means nothing as the clock is not for sale. If you want one, all I can do is wish you luck as I have not found another built in the colonies during the 17th century. If you find one please let me know. Thanks

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
You didn't have a family member named Julius? It seems there are a lot of names in the clock (e.g. Esther right above the hinge). My wife's family has a secretary that family members signed their name into, going back 200 years.

Beautiful clock! If the movement is original, I'm absolutely amazed... Normally they will develop oblong pivot holes after far less than 300 years. Must be well balanced, well oiled and beefy.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Chestnut was a very common wood, prior to the blight, in Eastern USA. It is hard and gets dark with age like cherry.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS