Repairs on DW635 planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Last time I changed knives on the Dewalt 735 I found a pile of dust building up under the blower port. I took the blower housing outer half off and looked for damage or cracks but couldnt see any problem. Cleaned up the dust and reassembled it all. About a week later I was planing and noticed a little trickle of dust from underneath the blower port. Took the top off again and more dust had built up inside. I finally disassembled the whole chip blower and still could not see any problem. It was there but difficult to see. Look at the photo below at the end of the pencil you can see a little white spot. That is from a flashlight shining out from inside the housing. A hole that small can pass a lot of dust if there is a force behind it. Ordered a new housing (whick looks better-made with a tongue and groove closure between the blower housing halves). Problem solved.

1 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
There's no guarantee if this piece is molded plastic that the replacement piece won't do the same thing. Have some duct tape or silicone caulk handy when you reassemble. :thumbs_up

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Last time I changed knives on the Dewalt 635 I found a pile of dust building up under the blower port. I took the blower housing outer half off and looked for damage or cracks but couldnt see any problem. Cleaned up the dust and reassembled it all. About a week later I was planing and noticed a little trickle of dust from underneath the blower port. Took the top off again and more dust had built up inside. I finally disassembled the whole chip blower and still could not see any problem. It was there but difficult to see. Look at the photo below at the end of the pencil you can see a little white spot. That is from a flashlight shining out from inside the housing. A hole that small can pass a lot of dust if there is a force behind it. Ordered a new housing (whick looks better-made with a tongue and groove closure between the blower housing halves). Problem solved.

View attachment 29526

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57673&highlight=dw735

Charlie
I have been down that road. If the inspection you did only revealed that small hole, I would patch it and check later. If the dust continues, Eplacement parts has a new cowl. Woops -- read post again.

I just replaced my 3 blade knife system with the shelix head. Best money I've spent in a while. The machine can do things not possible before the swap.

Dan

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Charlie, you may have to forfeit your "Redneck Engineering" certificate. For a hole that small I would have probably used a wad of chewing gum and some duct tape. :gar-La;

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
There's no guarantee if this piece is molded plastic that the replacement piece won't do the same thing. Have some duct tape or silicone caulk handy when you reassemble. :thumbs_up

Probably right. The original lasted 5 years, if the new one lasts that long I won’t complain. It is a nuisance to get the thing apart. It is otherwise a good planer.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Charlie, you may have to forfeit your "Redneck Engineering" certificate. For a hole that small I would have probably used a wad of chewing gum and some duct tape. :gar-La;

Right, Bill. I thought about ways to rebuild with epoxy patch, and I may stil try it since I saved the damaged part.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Charlie, I had the same issue. On closer examination, I found that the inner wall of the blower housing was thinning...I assume it is due to erosion of the inner surface from sawdust moving past. Fortunately, once the new piece arrives it is an easy fix.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member

Charlie
I have been down that road...
I just replaced my 3 blade knife system with the shelix head. Best money I've spent in a while. The machine can do things not possible before the swap.

Dan[/QUOTE]
Dan, did you use the smaller diameter one or the original size one? I’ve been thinking about a replacement shelix head but have not quite been willing to spend the money yet.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Charlie
I got the "smaller" head on sale. If you get to a point where you want up grade the Byrd head is well worth it.

If you would like to come by some day, let me know.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User

Charlie
I have been down that road...

Dan
Dan, did you use the smaller diameter one or the original size one? I’ve been thinking about a replacement shelix head but have not quite been willing to spend the money yet.[/QUOTE
I upgraded my 735 with the Shelix, I opted not to go with the smaller. you'll need to remove and reinstall the cutters but that was the only difference in the change out. You do maintain the same cut depth vs opting for the smaller. Huge difference in the Shelix and traditional knives.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
You do maintain the same cut depth vs opting for the smaller. Huge difference in the Shelix and traditional knives.

Wes
I chose the smaller diameter head. It was on sale and the difference I saw was not important to me.

No difference in the cut of either head. I have several friends with the spiral heads and I just pulled the trigger when my 3 blade set up needed to be changed out. I had such a bad time getting the "first generation" blades off the head back last year that I opted for the cutters-ready to go.

The biggest difference is the NOISE when using the planer. It really is significant. I don't hear others mention it but I port my chips out the door of my shop. I had a "busy-body" woman who has to put something on the neighborhood watch if a squirrel burps. She mentioned the noise from my planer one day and that was the final straw for me.

I checked the noise level of my router vs my planer. Now the router is back in 1st place.

Additionally, I do a good deal of veneer prep with the new spiral cutter and it is a quantum leap from the old set up.

The only downside I see is the cutters are truly BRITTLE. If you leave a glue line it will break a cutter in a heart beat.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
You do maintain the same cut depth vs opting for the smaller. Huge difference in the Shelix and traditional knives.

Wes
I chose the smaller diameter head. It was on sale and the difference I saw was not important to me.

No difference in the cut of either head. I have several friends with the spiral heads and I just pulled the trigger when my 3 blade set up needed to be changed out. I had such a bad time getting the "first generation" blades off the head back last year that I opted for the cutters-ready to go.

The biggest difference is the NOISE when using the planer. It really is significant. I don't hear others mention it but I port my chips out the door of my shop. I had a "busy-body" woman who has to put something on the neighborhood watch if a squirrel burps. She mentioned the noise from my planer one day and that was the final straw for me.

I checked the noise level of my router vs my planer. Now the router is back in 1st place.

Additionally, I do a good deal of veneer prep with the new spiral cutter and it is a quantum leap from the old set up.

The only downside I see is the cutters are truly BRITTLE. If you leave a glue line it will break a cutter in a heart beat.

That's interesting with the glue line chipping the cutters. Never encountered that. I did have a couple traditional knives chip. Two reasons I opted for the larger head is, it's a tiny bit quieter, matches the original RPM's and most importantly (to me) is it maintains the same cut depth. Unless you compensate, the depth gauge is off by about 1/16". It's a little more work up front but to me it was worth keeping the original settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS