rent my shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I saw a thread a while back about shop rentals and thought I would throw this out there. I would be willing to rent my shop out on a monthly basis. Of coarse there would be certain requirements. you would be liable for your own insurance. [if ya git hurt it's on you] supply your own expendables [blades sand paper ect.] I would supply equipment and a building [no air or heat] and would pay the electric within reason. you would get your own key and be able to work whenever you please. Times have forced me to take drastic measures. I may also consider selling the shop outright if things don't improve. any interest? :dontknow:

cpw

New User
Charles
Fred,

I have no interest personally, but you might want to talk to some locals, even those not part of NCWW, and gauge interest in a WW coop. I have read about them from time to time in shop setup books and articles. Maybe an arrangement similar to what you're proposing where you would supply the space and tools for a monthly fee. If you could get five or six people on board it might actually be an opportunity to relocate and expand.

Just an idea,
Charles

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred,

I have no interest personally, but you might want to talk to some locals, even those not part of North Carolina Woodworker, and gauge interest in a WW coop. I have read about them from time to time in shop setup books and articles. Maybe an arrangement similar to what you're proposing where you would supply the space and tools for a monthly fee. If you could get five or six people on board it might actually be an opportunity to relocate and expand.

Just an idea,
Charles

I thought about that but I would trust our membership much more than the general public. most here understand the hobby and would be less apt to suit if they lost an appendage! a few of my tools don't have guards so to do this open to the public would require some expensive upgrades that I can't do right now. I am also considering selling off everything but have not made that decision yet. I hope it doesn't come to that but.......

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I thought about that but I would trust our membership much more than the general public. most here understand the hobby and would be less apt to suit if they lost an appendage! a few of my tools don't have guards so to do this open to the public would require some expensive upgrades that I can't do right now. I am also considering selling off everything but have not made that decision yet. I hope it doesn't come to that but.......

Fred, I sure hope you don't end up selling your shop. I've seen some of the beautiful work you've posted, and it would be a shame if you weren't able to continue that. As for the liability issue of renting your shop, I think you are right to be very concerned. Even w/ an air-tight release signed in advance, you can bet someone would take you to court over the least little nick. I had a surgeon for a neighbor once, and he asked if he could do something in my shop. I could just see him cutting a finger off and suing me because he couldn't operate any more. I ended up doing it for him, but wouldn't let him touch any of my tools. Fortunately, he understood and we joked about it. But I wasn't willing to take the chance.

Bill

Glennbear

Glenn
Fred, I cannot offer any help other than to say my thoughts and prayers are with you. I can definitely empathize since things are getting rather desperate here also. :wsad:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I really have my fingers crossed for you and Glenn. The thought of either of you possibly losing your shops really breaks my heart.

I wish you both, and others in similar position, the best of luck and hope for a dramatic and positive change in your fortunes.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thanks for all the concern but I am a ways away from ac-choo-lee selling the shop. I will be getting some stuff sold though as I have at least 2 of almost everything.:elvis: Not only will getting thinned out help with the budget it will also get me some much needed space.:gar-Bi

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I really have my fingers crossed for you and Glenn. The thought of either of you possibly losing your shops really breaks my heart.

I wish you both, and others in similar position, the best of luck and hope for a dramatic and positive change in your fortunes.

+1! Good vibes/thoughts/prayers/etc going out to both of you!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A sad post to say the least. Whatever the outcome I wish both of you the best. :thumbs_up

The liability issue is huge in our litigious society. :wsad:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Have you thought about having woodworking classes or lessons in your shop?

That gives you control over who uses what piece of machinery and when.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Have you thought about having woodworking classes or lessons in your shop?

That gives you control over who uses what piece of machinery and when.

That though has crossed my mind but I am not too sure I am good at teaching.:nah: I am hard headed and would rather do it myself than try to teach someone how.:gar-Bi Then again.... I may kick that around some. thanks for the suggestion.:icon_thum

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Just three 2-3 student classes a week at $40/hr each comes out to $960-1440 a month for three hours work per week.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Just three 2-3 student classes a week at $40/hr each comes out to $960-1440 a month for three hours work per week.

At my pace, we'd barely get past learning first names in 2-3 hours :rotflm:

With my health, I figure it takes me 10-15 times longer to accomplish a specific task. Which sucks because there are some Woodcraft sessions I would love to participate in (especially some of the Rob Cosman), but I could never hope to keep up with such classes.

If you go this route Fred, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour. I'm a bit hard-headed myself, so I know exactly what you mean by prefering to do things yourself.

Hopefully, at some point, I will be able to post some photos of the project I've been working on -- a mobile Power Mortiser workbench and storage center.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Fred,

I'm sorry to hear that things have gotten so tight. But I beg to differ on the teaching thing. When I visited you that day, it was one of the most informative afternoons of my life. You have a wealth of knowledge and are very good at sharing it. Why not give it a shot? I'll bet you'd enjoy it more than you think and if you don't? Hey, at least you know. You all will be in our thoughts and prayers and if there is anything I can do, please let me know. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Trent

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Professor Fred - far stranger things have happened in the past few years... Go for it Fred, I know you taught me a lot. Heck if you can teach me, you can teach anyone.

PS the spit sanding technique is mine though :rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
It is an interesting idea but I think since nobody ever charged me for that knowledge I would rather give it freely than to sell it. It is my way of paying it forward.:wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS