Removing wax from table top

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I just built a dinning room table and sprayed the top with General Finishes High Performance satin wb finish. I then applied a coat of paste wax to the top. Just plain old Johnson's paste wax. I then realized that I needed to build up the top coat more. What's the best stuff to use to remove the wax so I can respray the table top and build up the finish?

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Wet a paper towel with mineral spirits. Wipe in long stroke changing the face of the towel with each stroke. Discard the paper towel after 5-6 strokes or you will be just smearing the wax around. After you have done the surface twice use dry paper towels to wipe the surface dry.

Let the surface dry completely. Then I would apply a coat of dewaxed shellac. Let it dry completely for 48 hours.

As a general rule, I avoid waxing any finished surface. If you decide to wax a waterborne finish, let the finish dry for 5-7 days.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I made some corn hole boxes for my grandson for Christmas. After painting them with high gloss paint, I decided to wax them with Johnson's paste wax to ensure the bean bags would slide freely. Well, they slid alright...like a rocket! I used some DNA to remove the wax and it worked pretty well.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to topcoating with shellac after the initial clean-up and removal of most of the wax. That's most but probably not all of the wax which may still be present in microscopic nooks and crannies.

Wet a paper towel with mineral spirits. Wipe in long stroke changing the face of the towel with each stroke. Discard the paper towel after 5-6 strokes or you will be just smearing the wax around. After you have done the surface twice use dry paper towels to wipe the surface dry.

Let the surface dry completely. Then I would apply a coat of dewaxed shellac. Let it dry completely for 48 hours.

As a general rule, I avoid waxing any finished surface. If you decide to wax a waterborne finish, let the finish dry for 5-7 days.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I use mohawk waxwash. Its pricey but the only thing i know that works well without eating into the finish underneath the wax.

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=164

"Removes wax and oils from surfaces. A blend of solvents which in one application will remove wax and oil from any surface. Prior to applying a new finish or spot repair, clean surface with Wax Wash™ remover. The presence of oil or wax on a surface will retard drying of a new finish which can be avoided by cleaning with Wax Wash™ remover. Naphtha or alcohol by themselves will not remove all foreign matter as well as this product. Good to use on furniture, woodwork and appliances prior to refinishing."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS