Removing rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herb

New User
Herb
I purchased an Record number 7c that does not seem to have ever been used, however, it does have some rust on it. Having never had to de-rust a plane, what is the best procedure. Rust is on the sides and on the sole and is mostly on the rear.

Thank you,

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
A photo would help determine what level you need to start at.

Light surface rust - WD-40 and Wet/Dry Sandpaper 220 or finer, Scotchbrite or 4aught steel wool (this sound like what you need). Get a glass sheet to mount the abrasive sheets on.
Heavier rust- wire wheel then a series of abrasives to clean the sole and cheeks along with paint to fix the interior if needed.

I you want to remove all the rust in one pass either get a jug of Evaporust (use Harbor Freight with the 20% off coupon) or set up an electrolytic derusting tank.

jglord

New User
John
I agree with Mike if the rust is cosmetic. You will be removing metal, but if the rust is light you won't be removing much. These processes are definitely the easiest. If removing the rust is significant then go with the electrolytic process. This process actually turns the rust back to metal. See this post: http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm
Be sure to dry the piece after you remove it from the bath - it will return to rust in a heart beat.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
electrolysis for sure.

This fellow has a good writeup w/ photos for cleaning up a plane.....except that for electrolysis you should never use stainless steel. Other steel, such as tool steel or a lawnmower blade are fine. I use iron rebar.

http://www.majorpanic.com/handplane_restor1.htm

Here's my setup although now I use 6 pieces of rebar

IMG_14922.JPG

Rick M

New User
Rick
You'll want to flatten the sole/sides anyway, so just lap on 80 grit sandpaper, that will get rid of the rust in a minute. For rust on the body it just depends on how bad it is, sometimes I use Naval Jelly; sometimes WD40 and a wire brush. Electrolysis is a lot of set up time then waiting for one plane.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Acids are great rust removers, vinegar, molasses, Coke, toilet bowl cleaner.
- sent via Tapatalk

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Because it was the only link I found easily. Just wanted to give a picture of the product. And your point is well taken. Please support our advertisers. They support us and will give you a discount on such items if you're DQ eligible.

Thanks for catching that Hank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS