Removing pine pitch from sanding belts - How To

Rob01

New User
Robert
I've had some very bad build up of pitch on my 3x21 belt sander belts. Does anyone know how to remove it? I've used my rubber belt eraser type tool and it won't get it off. One board of pine from Home Depot has gummed up several belts including a brand new one. I'd hate to throw those belts out since they have plenty of life left if I can get them clean again.

Strom

New User
Strom
I have had some success by feeding black plastic pipe into the belt/disc. It's not PVC its black .

Rob01

New User
Robert
Thanks for the reply and the video on how to clean the belts. I had continued my searching on google after posting the question here and found people used Simple Green and a pressure washer to accomplish the task. I had both so gave it a try by soaking the belts down with a spray bottle of Simple Green several times throughout the day yesterday. This morning I clamped them to something solid and used the pressure washer on them. Everything came off and the grit seems to be no worse for wear. I had been throwing them out but am glad I now know how to fix the problem. Thanks again!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the reply and the video on how to clean the belts. I had continued my searching on google after posting the question here and found people used Simple Green and a pressure washer to accomplish the task. I had both so gave it a try by soaking the belts down with a spray bottle of Simple Green several times throughout the day yesterday. This morning I clamped them to something solid and used the pressure washer on them. Everything came off and the grit seems to be no worse for wear. I had been throwing them out but am glad I now know how to fix the problem. Thanks again!
I also use Simple Green but don't need the pressure washer. Just a brass bristle brush on the stubborn spots.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I used to try spraying with lacquer thinner and then a stiff brush. It sort of worked. Since then, I really try to avoid pine. Some pine boards are worse than others.
1     pitch - 1.jpg

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I've done this with MS and while it works, the belts shrunk so I had little left to "clamp".

Rob01

New User
Robert
I agree that pine is awful. One of the belts I cleaned the other day is already glazed over again with pine pitch. But thanks to google and here, I can get it clean again. It made my day learning how to rejuvenate the belts!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS