Removing Book Bindings

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Has anyone here ever used a table saw to remove the binding from a hardback book? Does it work well?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What's are you trying to do?

Cut the spine off to glue to a fake shelf?

Or just remove the cover?

Remove the binding so it can be glued and rebound?

Are you trying to save a book or destroy it?

Last edited:

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Destroy it. I want loose pages so that I can scan them to PDF and read the book on my Kindle. I do it all the time with paperback books. The local printer has a massive paper cutter.

Glennbear

Glenn
I would think that a bandsaw would be better, when I worked in electronics industry we used a BS to cut paper insulation materials. :wsmile:

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Couldn't you just cut the hardcover off and then use the massive paper cutter to separate the pages? Like Glenn said, I think the bandsaw might give you better control than a tablesaw.

Claus

Claus
User
My wife has been cutting blank notebooks in half for her classroom using a scroll saw. Books are really pretty soft and any other kind of high powered saw will raise a plume of dust and paper shreds and make a pretty big mess of the pages. DAMHIK.

--Claus

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Maybe I'll just have to try it. Or maybe I'll try my circular saw or jig saw. I just thought I would ask.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ok, the band saw will work with a fine tooth blade. I would wrap some heavy twine around and around at least a dozen times from top to bottom so it stays together through the saw. Otherwise it may drift/twist/jump into the blade and cause a hazardous situation.

The table saw, in my opinion, is just too dangerous.

!!!WARNING WILL RODGERS!!! A circular saw will kill you in this kind of operation.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The absolute safest way would be to cut the cover off with a knife, cut the sewn thread bindings, separate the signatures, then cut the pages apart either on the printers paper cutter or by hand with a ruler and knife.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The absolute safest way would be to cut the cover off with a knife, cut the sewn thread bindings, separate the signatures, then cut the pages apart either on the printers paper cutter or by hand with a ruler and knife.

Mike- (patlaw)
I agree with mike (Davis) slit the cover at the binding with a boxcutter or x-acto and then (viola) you have a paper-back book, then you can probably take it to your printer for cutting!!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
When I made the book safes back at Christmas time I cut the covers off with a utility knife ( just one slit each front and back).
Then I cut the stack of pages on my band saw, course blade did just fine.
I did a wrap or two on each axis with painters' tape ( top to bottom and left to right) to stabilize the stack of paper and it was no trouble at all.
I was being careful beacuse I needed to reassemble with minimum visible scars.
If I wasn't being careful it would be <2 min job.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I would be tempted to remove the cover, clamp the spine so that it sat proud of the vise jaws and go at it with a sharp plane.

2_cents.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Take the books to an office supply store and have them use their hydraulic "guillotine" to remove the spine/bindings and you'll have the text blocks neat and clean for scanning. That's probably the safest and most efficient way and a good $ spend too. Another option would be a binding/printing operation in Cary/Raleigh.

Here's a 4 step DIY which looks pretty simple but probably time consuming.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Unbind-a-Hardcover-Book/

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Paper is basically wood :) I've done it with small books (< 1" thick). Used my metal detector first...found nothing, as expected.

I frequently do this with my WW magazines (so I can file away the articles I want to keep in a more organized fashion). I usually cut 5-10 at a time. Except for FWW, I have to remove the staples first :(

The TS leaves a pretty clean cut with a ZCI. Haven't tried the bandsaw.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I've used a belt sander in the past. Seemed to work fine at the time, after removing the hard spine, of course. Let us know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors