Remove Warp or Cup from Flute Blank

Flute Maker

Mike
User
My flute blanks are 1 1/2 by 1 1/2" by 34" I could take just enough off to level it out so I could use them..I guess if you had a jointer you could do it that way...never used one even though I have one on my Delta Multi tool. I was thinking some kind of hand plane to just remove enough of cup or warp from the ends to make it usable. I ran into a need to do this weekend and these blanks are sort of on hold for right now. Open to all suggestions! Thanks in advance! Just a good user plane may be the deal...Dont want a high dollar one ..just something to do the job..

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Heck, even some course sandpaper glued to your bench could work. When I want a quick trim, I use a block plane. Occasionally a draw knife. ( people forget about them. Quite handy. )

Don't know what kind of joiner can fit to a held held multi-tool. My joiner is 200 Lbs of cast iron. I have a cheap WEN powered hand planer for carpentry use I really like. I also have a collection of Stanley planes with Hock irons for cabinet work. It is the iron that does the cutting, not the plane body.

Making flutes, don't have a lathe?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
A block plane or a small bench plane like a No.3 would work well for this job. You can find them used at a decent price on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, eBay, etc.
Contact Chris Black on FB. Chris Black

You can also buy new block planes which are still decent quality. Stanley still makes pretty good block planes for the price.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Lots of ways to do this. It all depends on how straight it needs to be.

A #4, better yet, a 5 or 6.
Or, save your money, get a roll of 80 grit adhesive sandpaper applied to a known flat surface.
Or, rip on table saw with a long straight guide against fence

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Heck, even some course sandpaper glued to your bench could work. When I want a quick trim, I use a block plane. Occasionally a draw knife. ( people forget about them. Quite handy. )

Don't know what kind of joiner can fit to a held held multi-tool. My joiner is 200 Lbs of cast iron. I have a cheap WEN powered hand planer for carpentry use I really like. I also have a collection of Stanley planes with Hock irons for cabinet work. It is the iron that does the cutting, not the plane body.

The jointer I am talking about is one of those Delta Rockwell, combo tool......tablesaw,drill press and jointer....Good tool and the jointer works..I just have never used it.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Lots of ways to do this. It all depends on how straight it needs to be.

A #4, better yet, a 5 or 6.
Or, save your money, get a roll of 80 grit adhesive sandpaper applied to a known flat surface.
Or, rip on table saw with a long straight guide against fence
I just need to get it straight enough that I can bore a 3/4",7/8" or 1" hole it through on the lathe. Then turn it round.If it isnt straight it wont happen....

Flute Maker

Mike
User
A block plane or a small bench plane like a No.3 would work well for this job. You can find them used at a decent price on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, eBay, etc.
Contact Chris Black on FB. Chris Black

You can also buy new block planes which are still decent quality. Stanley still makes pretty good block planes for the price.
Ill check Chris out!

Flute Maker

Mike
User

Oh yeah I have a lathe...I just need to get it as straight as I can,, bore a hole which is the flute bore then turn it round..Now if I have a big enough piece I can turn the cup or warp out but I dont usually start with a piece that big...I just get the occasional piece I need to deal with.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS