Remote Switch for Dust Collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
Does anyone have any experience with the remote switches sold by Klingspor? They appear to be functionally the same (but with an extra remote switch) as the more expensive ones at Woodcraft, but are they?

Any info will be appreciated. Yes. I'm cheap and would rather spend the extra $20 on more tools.:tool:

Thanks,
Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I don't specifically, but I suggest you look specifically at the amperage rating of the unit and if it is a resistive or inductive load. You want a unit that will support an inductive load that is slightly greater than the amperage draw of the motor on your dust collector. HTH

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Are you talking about the Shop Fox DC remote? I've had one for a couple of years to control my Harbor Freight Dust Collector, works perfectly. The HF DC draws around 14amps, so it should handle any 1.5HP machine. Note: There was a recall for the Shop Fox DCs recently, for a limited production run. I sent mine back (even though it was working fine) and I got a replacement. This was for units made in the first half of 2008 I believe.

RayH

New User
Ray
The Klingspor web site does not say Shop Fox. It is item:220V REMOTE DUST COLLECTOR SWITCH Item: WK33460. I'm just curious that if it is $20 less than Woodcraft's "equivalent," is it worth the money?:icon_scra

Thanks,
Ray

M

McRabbet

The Klingspor unit is made by Shop Fox International and is set up with a 220V plug. I have had one of the 120V versions for at least 10 years and it has performed flawlessly. It has two remote transmitters that operate on 9V alkaline batterys that have now power drain when sitting and they last a long time as a result. My receiver unit is located under my basement shop in a crawl space hooked to a 1 HP DC and I've never had problems with it getting a trip signal. There was a recall by the CPSC a year ago with a faulty circuit board concerning fewer than 500 units, but that was resolved. I'm very happy with mine.

RayH

New User
Ray
Thanks, Rob.

That's just what I was looking for. I'm wiring the 220v outlet today, and will cash my Klingspor gift certificate just as soon as they get the switch restocked at the Raleigh store.(better:tool:)

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors