Remote Start or Switch on Wall etc. for Dust Collection.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I mainly use my H.F dust collector on my lathe. The DC is in the back of the shop ...only 20 ft' at most away from the lathe.I would like to be able to turn it on and off right at the lathe. I don't want to spend a lot . It is more of a convenience than anything.What do you guys use? Thanks In advance!

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Mine is set up on a wall switch but I’d like to get a remote for it. But don’t want to spend a bunch of money on one.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I'm a proponent for a wireless remote start system, with a small battery-operated On/Off transmitter and a receiver that is capable of handling the amperage and voltage of the dust collector. A good unit for a reasonable price is the Long Ranger III, available in 120V/16 Amp version (~$70) and 240V/16 Amp (~$83.50) on smile.Amazon.com. The 120V version is suitable for up to a 1-1/2 HP motor, while the 240V version can handle up to 2-1/2 HP. The transmitter is easy to keep at your primary power tool (your lathe) or can be kept in your shop apron pocket to use at any place in the shop as you use different tools.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a sensor mounted in panel box that turns on DC any time one of the machine circuits is energized. Runs for ten seconds after machine is turned off to clear the pipes.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
On the Long Ranger 111 it says its for 1 to 1 1/2 HP My HF says it is 2 hp but I don't it really is. I would think it would work ok.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Had a Jet remote switch that cost around $100. It lasted less than a year. On my income, that loss hurt a lot because I couldn't afford to replace it. I have a dedicated 6'x8' DC room added on to the shop--it got to be tiring walking back and forth to turn the unit on and off. I have a HF 2 h.p. DC. I went to Lowes and picked up a cheap, less than $10 remote switch and receptacle for Christmas lights mainly. Believe it or not, it's worked flawlessly for several months now. Was always, and probably still will build McRabbet's home built remote unit sometime in the future--whenever this cheap unit expires.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have a remote switch. I bought it about a year and a half ago. One still works. One will turn on, not turn off. It is supposed to operate 3 machines.

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
I use the Long Ranger with the remote for my Harbor Freight dust collector that is 2 hp. No problems at all.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
You could look at the IVAC system. My collector also claims 2hp. Check your AMPs. Mine draws 12 amps so I did have to upgrade the starter switch. They were very helpful in suggesting the right gear.

sandfarm

Joe
User
I am going to run mine with a $15 120v plug in remote. My motor has a magnetic starter with a 120v coil.
The remote turns on the coil and the coil closes the DC circuit.

Joe

sandfarm

Joe
User
I have a sensor mounted in panel box that turns on DC any time one of the machine circuits is energized. Runs for ten seconds after machine is turned off to clear the pipes.

Bruce
Do you have automatic blast gates? What kind of sensor do you use at the panel?

Thanks.
Joe

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce
Do you have automatic blast gates? What kind of sensor do you use at the panel?

Thanks.
Joe
Manual blast gates. Sensor is an SSAC product. Design was originally published in FWW Aug 2000. Only modification, was to add a cube timer ( delay on break) to run DC for 10 seconds to clear pipes. SSAC is very proud of their sensors, so do some searching for another brand.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use the same one as Robert. It starts my "2hp" HF DC. No issues. Starting current is supposed to be higher than it's rating but it works fine. I've had it a few months.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I use a wall mounted 20 amp switch. 5 bucks in materials at most. Had wire on hand. blast gates on equipment. locate the switch where it's convenient.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS