Remote control for dust collector

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
One warning I should add for many larger cyclones -- turning them on and off frequently adds considerable load (in the form of heat buildup) to the motor since it has to spin a heavy impeller up to speed and draws a heavy amperage load to do that. I have a 5 HP ClearVue CV1800 and they recommend no more than 5-6 start/stop cycles per hour to allow the 5 HP motor time to cool down. If you ignore this, you are likely to have the thermal overload protection on the motor trip and they are not always easy to get to. If I know I will be doing a bunch of cuts on my tablesaw or multiple board passes through my planer or jointer, I just leave the cyclone running until I am done. You'll never see any difference in your electric bill!

sandfarm

Joe
User
I used a magnetic starter with 120v coil and a cheap remote from amazon to operate a 7 1/2 hp dust collector.
The remote turns the power on to the 120v coil therefore the magnetic starter turns the DC on.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Mark,
This is what I was planning to do when I get around to setting up my dust collector. How did you mount the microswitches on the blast gates? Do you feel the delay-on-break timer is useful?

Thanks!
David
you could do all of that or buy the one I have.... has 4 blast gates with switches.... $75

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
No. This motor is 1ph 220v.
Must be an improperly applied compressor motor. Ive seen these for sale (over 5 HP single phase compressor motors) and never have had an understanding of what the differences are between them and TEFC other than the obvious housing differences.

sandfarm

Joe
User
Not an air compressor motor.
I bought it new for the sole purpose of powering the dust collector.
It is TEFC.
At the same time, I bought another 7 1/2hp 1ph for my air compressor. It is also TEFC.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Not an air compressor motor.
I bought it new for the sole purpose of powering the dust collector.
It is TEFC.
At the same time, I bought another 7 1/2hp 1ph for my air compressor. It is also TEFC.
where did you get it? ID love to have a source for such a thing, please send pictures!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors