Remodeling dissapointments. Would you pay for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Or should I ask how would you handle this? Some may remember we have started a full blown kitchen remodel. The good news is it is almost done and I will post pics in another thread. We have some major issues along the way, one big issue with the tile floor. The LOML was in tears when she saw some of the mess this guy made. I would call this mediocre at best. Now for the pics.

Not the the 3/4 inch gap between the edge of the tile and backer board and the vent opening

This one just blows me away. I have never done tile work and think I could have done a better job. They want to call this a complete job?

Can you not make a straight cut? No type of trasition was attempted when I questioned the installer he said carpet he did not like to pull up thre edges of carpet up it frays.

We paid the folks that did the backsplash who did a fantastic job with the back splash $200.00 to straighten the mess out the best he could. He had to cut into the door jam to get a clean cut but I gave him the OK and can fix that with a shim, some glue and paint touch up.

I wanted to and maybee should have made them bust it all up and start over but that was not a good option. We did not want to wait another 2 weeks and go without a kitchen.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Ouch....

I think I would tell them to fix it, or you will exercise your right to have a professional fix it, and discount that ammount from the final payment...

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Bryan I would not let them get by with this - If you had to get another person to fix it then you need to tell them and deduct that amount from their total. I know if it was LOML she would go as far reporting them to the BBB

Bryan S

Bryan
Ouch....

I think I would tell them to fix it, or you will exercise your right to have a professional fix it, and discount that ammount from the final payment...

We do not want that tile installer back in the house. He was a nice fellow but poor craftsmanship. We are going to ask that they reduce the amount from the bill.

I know if it was LOML she would go as far reporting them to the BBB

We are definately going to do that

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I did a better job when I re-did one of our bathrooms, and that was my first go at tiling...and that ain't braggin' on my work.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
OMG!!!, I can see why you do not want him back in your home. I would not pay for that type of service. I would give them the choice of paying for a professional to fix and deduct that from their bill or not getting paid at all and being reported to BBB and also threaten them with a law suit to have it repaired. There is absolutely no sense in someone putting that quality of work in someones home. Very unexceptable at least. Steve P.S. let us know how everything works out.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
that is the sort of work done by 'crafty' homeowners that I had to repair when I was doing floors. typical repair rate was a flat rate of $100 plus three times regular square foot rate and materials. but that was hardwood and laminates, I don't do tile.

fergy

New User
Fergy
We just went through a long process with a contractor who walked and stole materials after screwing up our hardwood floor install. The problem is that, in NC, there's really nothing you can do other than try to withhold final payment. The BBB can't do anything, especially if the contractor isn't a member, and the case files aren't kept in that company's name if they don't respond. It's really quite a joke. Same with the state Attorney General. But the contractor can also put a lien on your property.

We also took him to court and got a full judgement against him. However, the county can't uphold that either. As a contractor, he's got no paycheck to garnish. The state can seize property, but we would have to pay more than the judgement to have his property seized, meaning we'd lose money in the end.

Luckily, in our case he was also arrested on multiple felony accounts. Now we wait and see if he's convicted on those charges, to see if we get anything out of this.

Good luck...I know I'll never hire a contractor here again. The work I've done is FAR better than most of the work I've seen hired out. The sad part is that, looking at your pictures, I don't think they are that bad compared to most of the contractor work I've seen done around here. I guess I've come to lower my expectations.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
We just went through a long process with a contractor who walked and stole materials after screwing up our hardwood floor install. The problem is that, in NC, there's really nothing you can do other than try to withhold final payment. The BBB can't do anything, especially if the contractor isn't a member, and the case files aren't kept in that company's name if they don't respond. It's really quite a joke. Same with the state Attorney General. But the contractor can also put a lien on your property.

We also took him to court and got a full judgement against him. However, the county can't uphold that either. As a contractor, he's got no paycheck to garnish. The state can seize property, but we would have to pay more than the judgement to have his property seized, meaning we'd lose money in the end.

Luckily, in our case he was also arrested on multiple felony accounts. Now we wait and see if he's convicted on those charges, to see if we get anything out of this.

Good luck...I know I'll never hire a contractor here again. The work I've done is FAR better than most of the work I've seen hired out. The sad part is that, looking at your pictures, I don't think they are that bad compared to most of the contractor work I've seen done around here. I guess I've come to lower my expectations.

Unfortunately, you're right. There really isn't much you can do. If you withhold final payment, the contractor can put a lein on your house. Sorry to hear about that. I would get them to fix it, or put up one heck of a fight with them either way. Honestly, it may be cheaper to fix that yourself though.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Bryan-
I see you're in Burlington. I'm a commercial contractor in Durham, and although I can't offer much more than to withold final payment, I WOULD like to know who the tile guy was so I know to steer clear of him. I can (and will) also tell other GCs to not use him(GCs look out for each other in Durham).

Bryan S

Bryan
The good news is the company sent another of their subs out this morning to inspect and see what need to be done to repair. These 2 guys counted 21 tiles that need to come up and redone so we will go from here.

For those who have mentioned the BBB this company is a member and we will see about filing complaints depending on how they procede with repairs.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
The good news is the company sent another of their subs out this morning to inspect and see what need to be done to repair. These 2 guys counted 21 tiles that need to come up and redone so we will go from here.
I was afraid you were going to say something like that.

When I saw the pics it immediately called into question the quality of the entire job. If the stuff you can see looks crappy, what about the stuff you can't ?

Boy I hope the subfloor was prepared properly. Do you know or can you check ? If you can find a different reputable tiling contractor, you might want to pay him for his assessment.

-Mark

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like the company is trying to make it right. That is the best you can hope for at this point. A good contractor will take of you.

Speaking about contractors. A neighbor of mine is having a garage built by a local guy. The garage is 95% done and does not have a CO yet. The other day he gets a lien notice on his property in the mail. Seems like the contractor never paid the lumber company for the materials. The contractor is not returning his phone calls. Now that is a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS