Relocating for retirement

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Hello,
Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Ed Siegel.
My wife and I are starting to look for retirement properties, focusing in NC.
We are currently in Syracuse, NY (can stand the cold).

We've visited the Greensboro area (relatives), Raleigh area, and Charlotte of course. and liked the areas.
Some old friends (know them a long time...they are not old) just moved to New Bern...and all of the information they have sent us about their new community looks really interesting. Will probably visit in the spring. Fairfield Harbor community.

We have some requirements....
Considering a community (55+ ?) that has activities and amenities.....good way to meet people since we don't really know anyone down there.
Not in the middle of no place (my wife likes to be near shopping)
We both need space for our hobbies (she does lots of crafts....beading, sewing, and ALL the others....so she needs a room (or two)
I, of course, need a shop. I'm basically a turner (bayberrycrafts.com) but would like a full shop now that I won't have to waste my time going to an office. (in NY we have basements....where do you put your shop?)
A woodworking or woodturning club in the area would be nice.

So....my question is...where should we be looking? Any communities that fit our needs? Any insight would be helpful.

hopefully I'll get to meet some of you when I get down their.

Ed
Hey Ed -

Welcome to NC. We've been here 35+ years and have really loved it. As you mentioned, the weather in upstate NY isn't the best. I'm from Buffalo and my wife is from Liverpool (right off 57 in Bayberry . . . . wondering if there is a connection to your craft website?). We live in Raleigh and have a place at Lake Gaston where many people retire. If you ever decide you want to check out the lake area, I'd be happy to take you around by boat and show you what Lake Gaston has to offer.

Good luck choosing a retirement spot - you have many great options in NC!

Rick

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Welcome. I was brought to NC by the army many moons ago from the west coast. My wife and I are not southern but we liked it enough around here to stay after the military chapter of life was over.

First, basements are not done in the Carolinas because it doesn't get cold enough, we don't get tornadoes/hurricanes enough to justify them and it is basically too wet which would floor the basement. You can build basements in any soils, just here there is so much moisture year round that basements are not a good idea. They would smell horrible from endless mold and mildew.

As far as location to move, that is a loaded question. As asked before, do you want to be near the mountains, ocean or not concerned either way? While the Raleigh/Durham/Cary (tri-cities) area is pretty massive it does come with a very hefty price tag for living there and those prices are not slowing down in any way. Greensboro, west of the tri-city area, is a larger city and pretty nice area but cost of living is similar to the Raleigh ones. Charlotte is a major city and just as expensive as the other ones.

I would encourage you to stay away from the Asheville area. The cost of living there may be higher than even Raleigh plus that place is like a hippy enclave, it feels so much like Seattle it is scary. Great place to see and visit, quite beautiful but not a place I would ever recommend to someone to live in. Gotta go visit the Biltmore out there though, just amazing.

Some smaller cities that aren't too bad are Fayetteville, Hickory, Lumberton, etc. In these areas you can buy larger homes/properties for subtantially less money that may even have the workshop you want or you can build the workshop of your dreams on the property because of the money you saved buying outside population ceneters. Basically for what it costs to buy just a house in the larger population centers mentioned you can buy 5-10+ acres with a nice house with room to expand elsewhere that isn't as densely populated. Some of these area are tucked into nice spots that aren't remote at all, everything is within 1-2 hours of a major city but provides all the primary shopping you need.

A LOT of people from the tri-city area are moving south through Fuquay, Lillington, etc down into the Fayetteville and surrounding areas. They are gobbling up the housing because it is cheaper prices, taxes, etc but in turn is overheating and inflating prices down here. The 60-90 minute drive is easier to do than living outside of means because homes are so expensive.

As an example, the house I live in down in Fayetteville would easily sell for $200-225k, maybe a little more, but in the tri-city area my house would run closer to $275-300k starting. That is withouth any major renovating as well. Just my thoughts as I personally prefer not to live in major cities like the tri-city area. It is enjoyable to head up there from time-to-time but I have no desire to live there, too peoply.

The bottom line is that there are lots of places to live depending on what you and your wife are seeking. Best of luck in your hunt.

Last edited:

teesquare

T
Senior User
Welcome. I was brought to NC by the army many moons ago from the west coast. My wife and I are not southern but we liked it enough around here to stay after the military chapter of life was over.

First, basements are not done in the Carolinas because it doesn't get cold enough, we don't get tornadoes/hurricanes enough to justify them and it is basically too wet which would floor the basement. You can build basements in any soils, just here there is so much moisture year round that basements are not a good idea. They would smell horrible from endless mold and mildew.

As far as location to move, that is a loaded question. As asked before, do you want to be near the mountains, ocean or not concerned either way? While the Raleigh/Durham/Cary (tri-cities) area is pretty massive it does come with a very hefty price tag for living there and those prices are not slowing down in any way. Greensboro, west of the tri-city area, is a larger city and pretty nice area but cost of living is similar to the Raleigh ones. Charlotte is a major city and just as expensive as the other ones.

I would encourage you to stay away from the Asheville area. The cost of living there may be higher than even Raleigh plus that place is like a hippy enclave, it feels so much like Seattle it is scary. Great place to see and visit, quite beautiful but not a place I would ever recommend to someone to live in. Gotta go visit the Biltmore out there though, just amazing.

Some smaller cities that aren't too bad are Fayetteville, Hickory, Lumberton, etc. In these areas you can buy larger homes/properties for subtantially less money that may even have the workshop you want or you can build the workshop of your dreams on the property because of the money you saved buying outside population ceneters. Basically for what it costs to buy just a house in the larger population centers mentioned you can buy 5-10+ acres with a nice house with room to expand elsewhere that isn't as densely populated. Some of these area are tucked into nice spots that aren't remote at all, everything is within 1-2 hours of a major city but provides all the primary shopping you need.

A LOT of people from the tri-city area are moving south through Fuquay, Lillington, etc down into the Fayetteville and surrounding areas. They are gobbling up the housing because it is cheaper prices, taxes, etc but in turn is overheating and inflating prices down here. The 60-90 minute drive is easier to do than living outside of means because homes are so expensive.

As an example, the house I live in down in Fayetteville would easily sell for $200-225k, maybe a little more, but in the tri-city area my house would run closer to $275-300k starting. That is withouth any major renovating as well. Just my thoughts as I personally prefer not to live in major cities like the tri-city area. It is enjoyable to head up there from time-to-time but I have no desire to live there, too peoply.

The bottom line is that there are lots of places to live depending on what you and your wife are seeking. Best of luck in your hunt.
Funny...Almost every house in my area of NC has a basement. I think it has to do with Eastern NC - vs Western NC. One advantage for the side of the state with mountains is - basements are common place. And - before warning people to stay way from " The Asheville Area"...consider that MANY of us live 30 + - minutes from the Center of Insanity, in communities that are the polar opposite of your impression of Asheville ( which is spot on....) AND - a lot cheaper than Asheville, Charlotte or RDU in general.

Last edited:

egsiegel

Ed
Senior User
So we did it!
We bought a house in Greensboro.
Close to my wife's family.
House has a walk out basement that is partially built out as a craft room ( my wife gets that)
There is also an office space and two large storage rooms that will become my shop...a little challenging to layout but will ultimately work well.
Looking forward to actually making g the move (May/June?) And meeting everyone.
I know there is a monthly lunch meet up in Greensboro..can anyone tell me when and where that happens?

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
So we did it!
We bought a house in Greensboro.
Close to my wife's family.
House has a walk out basement that is partially built out as a craft room ( my wife gets that)
There is also an office space and two large storage rooms that will become my shop...a little challenging to layout but will ultimately work well.
Looking forward to actually making g the move (May/June?) And meeting everyone.
I know there is a monthly lunch meet up in Greensboro..can anyone tell me when and where that happens?
Ed, welcome to Greensboro. You can join us for lunch next week (Tuesday 11:30) at the Moose Cafe. It’s near I40 and Sandy Ridge exit near the Farmers Market.

egsiegel

Ed
Senior User
Ed, welcome to Greensboro. You can join us for lunch next week (Tuesday 11:30) at the Moose Cafe. It’s near I40 and Sandy Ridge exit near the Farmers Market.
Won't actually be moving down until may or june...but thanks...will certainly join for lunch when we get there

egsiegel

Ed
Senior User
Hey Ed -

Welcome to NC. We've been here 35+ years and have really loved it. As you mentioned, the weather in upstate NY isn't the best. I'm from Buffalo and my wife is from Liverpool (right off 57 in Bayberry . . . . wondering if there is a connection to your craft website?). We live in Raleigh and have a place at Lake Gaston where many people retire. If you ever decide you want to check out the lake area, I'd be happy to take you around by boat and show you what Lake Gaston has to offer.

Good luck choosing a retirement spot - you have many great options in NC!

Rick
My wife is a librarian at liverpool library.
We are not in Bayberry community, but I get a lot of questions about that. My business was named when we lived on Bayberry Lane in Poughkeepsie...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My wife is a librarian at liverpool library.
We are not in Bayberry community, but I get a lot of questions about that. My business was named when we lived on Bayberry Lane in Poughkeepsie...
Hi again Ed. I was the one who mentioned the lunch to you on Facebook. Once again welcome to retirement and NC.

John Britton

John
User
Hello,
Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Ed Siegel.
My wife and I are starting to look for retirement properties, focusing in NC.
We are currently in Syracuse, NY (can stand the cold).

We've visited the Greensboro area (relatives), Raleigh area, and Charlotte of course. and liked the areas.
Some old friends (know them a long time...they are not old) just moved to New Bern...and all of the information they have sent us about their new community looks really interesting. Will probably visit in the spring. Fairfield Harbor community.

We have some requirements....
Considering a community (55+ ?) that has activities and amenities.....good way to meet people since we don't really know anyone down there.
Not in the middle of no place (my wife likes to be near shopping)
We both need space for our hobbies (she does lots of crafts....beading, sewing, and ALL the others....so she needs a room (or two)
I, of course, need a shop. I'm basically a turner (bayberrycrafts.com) but would like a full shop now that I won't have to waste my time going to an office. (in NY we have basements....where do you put your shop?)
A woodworking or woodturning club in the area would be nice.

So....my question is...where should we be looking? Any communities that fit our needs? Any insight would be helpful.

hopefully I'll get to meet some of you when I get down their.

Ed
Ed,
Look at Aldersgate CCRC in Charlotte.
We have a fully equipped woodworking shop with a Laguna lathe. Shopping: huge all over the place. Great sports & museums, music, theatre venues. There are Independent living "cottages" with 2-3 bedrooms. I have my shop in the 2 car garage. There are around 40 clubs/activities. Among them is a Aldersgate Woodworking Group. I also belong to the Charlotte Woodworkers who have their own shop & meetings.
I was born & raised in the Syracuse area.
Good luck.

Jradisch

New User
Jim
Hey Ed,
Born and raised in Syracuse and lived in Liverpool the last 40 years. (I used to walk to the Liverpool Library all the time!). Recently (5 months ago) moved to a community just outside Wilmington. Love it here but haven't found much rough cut wood outside of the big boxes.
Jim

egsiegel

Ed
Senior User
Hey Ed,
Born and raised in Syracuse and lived in Liverpool the last 40 years. (I used to walk to the Liverpool Library all the time!). Recently (5 months ago) moved to a community just outside Wilmington. Love it here but haven't found much rough cut wood outside of the big boxes.
Jim
Jim...
If you were a Liverpool Library patron, you pro ably know my wife 😀

Since I'm a turner, I don't buy much wood...just found logs. (Around here wood grows on trees...I'm hoping it is the same down there)

Ed

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS