rehab or display trashed type 4 No 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbb

New User
Update your profile with your name
Howdy,

After seeing Insomniac's post in the Buy and Sell forum I decided to take a gallery opinion on what to do with an old type 4 No 7 I got off ebay.

I purchased this guy fairly blindly (single small grainy pic in poor light) off ebay for $20 a while ago. It arrived with the worst homemade handle I had ever seen (the tote base projected up to the frog, made of unfinished maple), a crack from the cheek through the mouth (making it nonfunctional), and the standard "rust coating" rather than jappaning. For fun, I repaired the crack via MIG (not the proper way to go; braising is better but wasn't available) and so far it is holding well. I also reshaped the tote it came with as practice for tote repair on other planes (I have 4 serious refinishings in progress: 4.5, 6, 7, & 7). What I'm trying to decide now is whether I want to go whole hog on it and rejappan, derust, and refinish the knob knowing that it won't ever be in as good a shape as my type 16 Stanley and low knob Union or if it would be better to part it out on ebay.

Anyway thanks for the input,

Mike

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
I'd part it or incorporate it into a bookend, doorstop, or other arty project. You've got the welder already. I don't know how rare the type 4's are, but it sounds like you've gotten your $20 out of it just messing around with the welding repair. Just my 2 cents worth which after adjusting for inflation is not worth very much.

Monty

New User
Monty
I'd vote for parting it out -- if the remaining parts are in reasonable shape. Just lightly clean things up, and post the frog/screws, the blade/cap iron, the lever cap, the knob/screws all as separate items. I'd be willing to bet you could easily make your money back.

mbb

New User
Update your profile with your name
You're probably right. I just hate to rip apart a 130 year old plane. Maybe I will refinish it. Other than the two rat bites out of the right cheek, it might look good on a mantle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS