Refueling a Generator While It's Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
This is a follow up to my thread "Don't you love it when a plan comes together," located in the off topic forum. With tank removable from generator frame, and located a few feet from generator it's possible to add fuel while it's running. Generator has a pulse fuel pump added, so lifting fuel is possible. Fast forward to gas cans. I hole sawed out a piece of steel, and using an arbor chucked in drill, ground it down to proper size to fit into cap on gas can. Soldered a piece of 1/4" copper thru disk, with about 1 inch projecting on each side. Connected a short piece of fuel line (enough to reach bottom of gas can,) to one side and added a piece of fuel line to other side with matching disconnect. Now I can add fuel hose to gas can, and connect gas can directly to generator. Blow in vent hole on gas can to prime the fuel line. Crank generator and it's off to the races, burning fuel directly from fuel can. By having tank on generator removable, I can also take it to gas station when filling cans for a power outage. This means during an outage, I don't have to stop and wait for generator to cool off before refueling. I can use hose to drain fuel from tank on generator, back into gas can after power outage is over. Then I take unused fuel, and run it in my truck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS