Refinishing Teak

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I've got a chance to salvage/reclaim/rejuvenate two teak outdoor tables. They definitely show the effects of weather and neglect. Have you ever refinished teak in pretty bad condition? How involved is the process? Do you recommend a specific product or kit to do the job, and how much does it cost? Thanks.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interested, i have a teak bench i need to do something with also.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
I get a news letter from Jamestown Distributors, they are a big marine supply company. I mostly just buy screws and Epifanes varnish from them.

From past news letters, they seem to carry a large supply of teak restoration and maintenance products, which makes sense since teak is so common on boats..

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Oxalic acid and Borax solution mix your own solution or you can buy seabrite (I think that is what it is called). Anyway, mix a dilute solution and test and then mix a stronger version and test you will like the way it cleans away a greyed out oxidation. Be advised do not go too strong on the Oxalic acid it can bleach too much. That is what the locals here do.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
When we refinished our teak rocking chairs after years sitting on the porch, we used a power sander - one with the small triangular pad. It got into the hard to reach places but was still a lot of work. Then used a marine varnish as a finish. This was years ago and they are still in pretty good shape.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS