"Refinish" for Outside Table

Flute Maker

Mike
User
My wife bought a wooden table and 4 wooden chairs about 2 to 3 yrs. ago.I think it is supposed to be teak but I really am not sure. They said it would weather and turn some in color. Anyhow it has been in the yard. I did cover it this past winter with a tarp to keep all the rain off.It has some light checks and we are wondering what to put on it to protect it somewhat. I know putting something in the yard it is going to weather unless some care is given to it. We were going to clean it up and put something on it but just not sure what. Any advice would be appreciated!

Sourwood

New User
Graham
My 2 cents - any wood outdoors will weather. UV is unstoppable. Many options for finishes, but they will all have to be redone at some interval (usually 1-2 years).

As an option, have you considered leaving them as is? “Outdoor” woods (teak, ipe, cedar, cypress, etc) are going to last a very long time unfinished, if you like the look.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That is what I told her lol...I think that is a good answer!!

A few pictures would be helpful. Has the teak weathered to a pewter gray color?

If she won't accept the "no finish" suggestion you can use a high quality marine spar varnish like Epifanes. It is a flexible varnish that allows for wood movement in an outdoor setting.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
A few pictures would be helpful. Has the teak weathered to a pewter gray color?

If she won't accept the "no finish" suggestion you can use a high quality marine spar varnish like Epifanes. It is a flexible varnish that allows for wood movement in an outdoor setting.

Ill see if I can get some pics..It was sort of brownish but info with it said it would weather to gray color.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Oil it,

Sand, then oil it. I use on my outdoor, Beeswax/Carnuba wax and Linseed combo..... usually recoat once a year, won't stop the UV but does prevent the moisture from staining and damaging

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS