Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Here's the bench as it looked fresh out of the shop:
Bench31.jpg

Here it is after sitting outside for a year and a half:
Bench_4-4-10.jpg

I didn't put any finish on it originally. I wanted to see how it would weather. Today I just wiped off the bird poop and applied a little Teak Oil.

pete

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wow! :eek: That was one of my most favorite calendar photos and an inspiration for me when I built my bench. Is it supposed to darken like that?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
What kind of bird poop do you use? Do you use a wipe on or spray version?

Beautiful bench that just looks better with age!

Jim

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Looking Good Mate! I'm all for letting outdoor projects age naturally. First: I like the look of weathered wood, especially cedar. Second: once you do something to it you're signing up for a never ending maintenance contract for the piece. I've known so many people who've ruined a perfectly good picnic table, chair or deck by sprucing it up with stain and/or poly then, when they realize how much work maintaining the finish on it is (every other year) they stop only to have it turn into a blochy, peeling, half weathered mess....

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I've known so many people who've ruined a perfectly good picnic table, chair or deck by sprucing it up with stain and/or poly then, when they realize how much work the maintaining the finish on it is (every other year) they stop only to have it turn into a blochy, peeling, half weathered mess....

Guilty as charged! :embaresse I used spar varnish on park bench slats, with the best of intentions...

I agree with others - I like the look and I really admire that piece. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors