Red Cedar, What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I just snapped to yesterday and I looked down at the ground and saw that I had been cutting red cedar down and wondered what could I do with this other than burn it or throw on the brush heap. I been told not to burn it in the wood stove because it is like burning pine. I've thought about a few projects I could do like fence post and fence rails. I also though about a nice porch style swing. I've had many ideals, I've even made short board with a bandsaw. Keep in mind these are at largest about 10" at the base. I've done some internet search and thing I will process some more into short lumber but want to do more. What ideas do you have?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I just snapped to yesterday and I looked down at the ground and saw that I had been cutting red cedar down and wondered what could I do with this other than burn it or throw on the brush heap. I been told not to burn it in the wood stove because it is like burning pine. I've thought about a few projects I could do like fence post and fence rails. I also though about a nice porch style swing. I've had many ideals, I've even made short board with a bandsaw. Keep in mind these are at largest about 10" at the base. I've done some internet search and thing I will process some more into short lumber but want to do more. What ideas do you have?

I like to make drawer sides and backs out of ERC. It's kind of soft and brittle and you need to strategically place the knots but once ERC is dry it's real stable and strong enough for drawers if left unfinished it smells real nice. Just remember the IDIOT system when constructing drawer frames. - later

mayszs

New User
Zack
A few months ago I built an Adirondack chair out of ERC. Came out very solid, comfortable and smells great in the warm weather.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
Turns real nice if you can avoid the bigger knots. Have ERC sign in my yard with my name made in 1980 looks like driftwood.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Zach, don't burn that wood for goodness sake, not unless you absolutely have to...you have some treasure there my man. have that tree planked out for furniture type projects or if you don't have the resources to do so at this time, cut the trunk into more manageable pieces and Anchorseal the ends of the logs. Air dry the stuff - away from the elements and direct sunlight- and when you get some time, take a hand held sledge hammer and a splitting wedge and bust the wood up into pieces that you can turn projects out of on the wood lathe.

Cedar works very nice with sharp tools and you can make some nifty stuff out of it.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I may have a grandiose idea brewing. I have a really good friend up here with a ton of much bigger logs. We are discussing ideas over the next few days.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I may have a grandiose idea brewing. I have a really good friend up here with a ton of much bigger logs. We are discussing ideas over the next few days.

ERC is wonderful stuff. It's not the strongest stuff and splits easily if not pre-drilled. If you have access to larger rough sawn lumber there are lots of possibilities. A blanket/hope chest is a start.

eyekode

New User
Salem
My vote is to make a totem pole out of it :).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374668760.234325.jpg

Cbozz

Chris
User
I've seen a few dressers and closet built-ins where the drawer sides are Baltic Birch and the bottom is a thick, floating cedar panel. Seemed like the best of both worlds, clean look, strong drawer box, and the anti-moth benefits of the cedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS