Red and white oak rootballs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Hi All, it's been a while since I've been here. I have a guy that wants me to mill some red and white oak stumps for him. I've never done that and was wondering,... what I'm in for and is it worth it?? I've thought about it but never done it.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Is he going to power wash (atleast twice) and trim them up for you? There is a lot of debris in stumps mostly ingrown rocks and dirt that will kill a band saw or chainsaw blade. If you can get past all the debris, stump wood is some really pretty stuff and some of it could be made into high dollar gun blanks...

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Is he going to power wash (atleast twice) and trim them up for you? There is a lot of debris in stumps mostly ingrown rocks and dirt that will kill a band saw or chainsaw blade. If you can get past all the debris, stump wood is some really pretty stuff and some of it could be made into high dollar gun blanks...

+1. Figure on a lot of embedded debris in the stumps that you will not be able to remove. There are lots of blade replacements when milling stumps.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
some of the nicest turned wood I've seen has come from stumps. The price tends to reflect the cost associated with it though. Would love to see some pictures as you progress through this, if it works out for you to do it!

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Thanks Guy's, They will be pressure washed untill they shine LOL. The guy has 4 of them and they are all large, as in the butt log is about 36" The root ball is bigger. I'll have to do a bunch of trimming and need to know if it's worth the trouble. I have a band thats made for cutting logs the are suspect of having steel in them, I reckon I'd better put it on huh? Do any of you other sawyers have bands like that? It's got real fine teeth on it almost like a hack saw. Cut's slower but does a fine job. Please let me know your opinion's as to whether I should fool with them or not.

Dragon

New User
David
:gar-La; The last stump/root ball I got hold of ate up 5 saw chains just gettin' it into sizes I could roll across the ground. After some tedious resharpening and truing up cutters, I went at it again. Bear in mind here that according the local water company, I used a little over 10,000 gals that month, (Pics are in my gallery.) washing away dirt, mud, rocks, and asst. debris. After all the resharpening I still managed to hit a few embedded rocks doing the final cutting. :BangHead:

Not sure about that "metal cutting" blade you got but I'm bettin' it won't like rocks and mud any more that a regular blade. These threes around my area like to suck up clay, rocks, and all sorts of goodies into their root systems as they grow and then they hid that suff so you can't see it to wash it out or pry it out. Guaranteed though, you hit with a saw or any other sharp tool, you'll find them rocks and mud.:BangHead:

Having said all that, don't be discouraged in taking on that job. It's a great test as to how determined/stubborn/persistent/cantankerous/mean you are when it comes to a piece of wood gettin' yer goat.

:rotflm:

Glennbear

Glenn
Others have posted their experience with stumps machining but I would suggest that if you undertake the project you make a very clear agreement with your customer covering blade damage so that the financial burden does not fall on you. :wsmile:

truckjohn

New User
John
I will put in another vote for what the others here have mentioned...

It's not the likelihood of hitting Metal that will be the problem -- It is the abrasive nature of rocks and sand embedded in the root ball... Think of what cutting roots does to a good saw chain -- it dulls the heck out of even the best chains....

I would explain to said fellow that even well pressure washed stumps contain lots of embedded sand and rocks -- and that it will cost him several resharpening fees and probably a few new blades (When you hit rocks that knock off teeth)

You may want to discuss some sort of maximum "Stop Here" cutting charge with the fellow -- say in case you toast 6 blades on the 1st 2 stumps....

It sure is pretty stuff, though...

Thanks

John

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
+1. Figure on a lot of embedded debris in the stumps that you will not be able to remove. There are lots of blade replacements when milling stumps.

I despise cutting root balls. Even the washed ones mean a couple of blade changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors