Recycled Church Pews

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
A friend brought me three 10' long church pews. He wanted them cut down to 4' long and build a table from the remaining wood. The catch was he wanted to keep the finish that was on the pews. The pews had been used in his church for over 60 years. When I removed one of the ends 2 pennies from 1956 fell out. They were made of SYP and had been repaired once before with dry wall screws. Thanks to the guys at Klingspor's The woodworking Shop for helping me to figure what stains to use to hide my repairs and saw cuts. I used lacquer to top coat what I stained. My friend was really happy with the way they turned out.

Attachments

• Church Pew.jpg
    Church Pew.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 108

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's a tough project, not so much the benches - cut off and re-attach. But to make a table from the scrap and match the old finish is tough. Great design on the table, it looks like it was made along with the benches 60 years ago.

MagGeorge

New User
George
Love that bench and table set. It must be hard work but it's all worth it. They look great and very nice finish which really match with the old finish. Well done!

bademillsap

New User
Bade
Anytime wood can be reused is a victory for the wood and the woodworker... Congratulations on a fine looking victory! Very nice work.

Via Tapatalk on Android

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Love that bench and table set. It must be hard work but it's all worth it. They look great and very nice finish which really match with the old finish. Well done!

The woodworking was easy, finishing was the pain. It was hard saying "This is close enough!" and stop working on the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS