reconditioning Delta Unisaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

childe

New User
Chris
I've been sanding oxidation off of surface of an old table saw, any suggestions about getting a nice finish on this piece of steel?:eusa_thin

Chris

Hardcharger14

New User
Steve
I have never sanded the work surface on any of my tools. I have used razor blades, in a holder, WD40, & Scotch Bright pads with great success. Not too big a mess and leaves a surface that looks right on an older mech. Steve Mc

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
STOP! Now that I've got your attention. I just took a lot of rust off machine tops, sanding and steel wool took forever. Go to the BORG and get Naval jelly, it's in the paint aisle with rust removers and primers, cost about $6.50. Brush it on and let it sit for around 3-10 mins. depending on how heavy, then scotchbrite off, rinse with wet rag. repeat as necessary.
The active ingredient is Phosphoric acid , use gloves. Works wonderful and saves time.

Good luck,

Jimmy

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I wouldn't do the sanding either. Electrolysis, naval jelly, a lot of other ways to get it cleaned up that would be better IMO. Mother's mag & aluminum polish will bring the metal back out after you get the rust off of it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You can rig up a large bath and use electrolysis. Read through this thread.
A cheap kiddie wading pool and some washing soda will do the trick. Kroger stocks the washing soda. I bought a box last Sunday for a "top secret project" If you don't have a suitable battery charger, I would be glad to lend you one. One thing to be sure of is to not get residue/ witch's brew on concrete surfaces. Unless you enjoy hearing SHMBO say "What were you thinking?"

childe

New User
Chris
Thanks for all the suggestions! Whats Mothers mag? And will aluminum polish work on hard steel? The Naval Jelly sounds pretty good. I might try that

Chris

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Mothers Mag and Aluminum wheel polish is a cleaner you can buy at Advance Auto. to give credit where credit is due, mshel is the one who posted it here and I became aware of it from him and will say it does do a good job on cast iron.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Travis,

Now that I've got my surfaces rust free and clean I'm going to try Mother's mag wheel and aluminum polish topolish it up to a good shine.
Thanks for the suggestion ( even though it was msel's idea).

Thank you,

Jimmy

I wouldn't do the sanding either. Electrolysis, naval jelly, a lot of other ways to get it cleaned up that would be better IMO. Mother's mag & aluminum polish will bring the metal back out after you get the rust off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS