Recommendations Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
I'm looking to buy a 6-7" jointer very soon .... but want to stay in the "under $300" pricerange. Any suggestions? HF online has a 7" jointer on sale for $220.

Thanks! .... Jim

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Jim not sure where you are at, but I may have a jet 6" jointer that is practically new for sale in a week or so. I am north of Charlotte. It is an older model but was never used. I just picked it up last week, but ran accross a good deal on a 8" jointer. I will have the deal closed on the other jointer next week, so I will know for sure if its for sale by then.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I wouldn't recommend the HF jointer, I don't care for the way the fence is mounted. You would be better off with a center mounted fence. I have the Rigid and am very happy with it. IIRC it was $399, a little more than you want to spend. It was a close tie with the Griz. 6" floor model. I would hunt for a used one, many folks are upgrading to a 8" and selling off their 6"ers. Or consider spending a little more and getting either the Griz. or Rigid. My .02, Dave:)

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I'll second Dave's opinion. The HF stuff leaves a lot to be desired. In the long run, you may be happier to cry once and put a crowbar to your wallet than to cry every time you use the tool. Nothing -at least for me- is more frustrating than shelling money out for a tool and subsequently finding out that it doesn't perform. There are much better machines for just a little more money.
....just my 2 cents

Bernhard

woodguy1975

New User
John
JimThomasson said:
I'm looking to buy a 6-7" jointer very soon .... but want to stay in the "under $300" pricerange. Any suggestions? HF online has a 7" jointer on sale for $220.

Thanks! .... Jim

Definitely deal with Brandon on his 6". You'll regret HF.

John

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Yeah .. I know .... I'm being tight with the $! Actually, I'm drooling to get the Griz tablesaw at $975 ..... but am giving most of the tax refund to the wife for new curtains & such. *sigh* So .... I'm left with $500 to play with and am agonizing how to spend it! Jointer .... planer .... Kreg pocket hole jig .... etc, etc, etc!!!

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I had 2 differnet HF jonters, each for a day or so. Both went back.
I now have a 6" Craftsman and like it a lot. It is available for $300 or so on sale. I also suggest seeing what happens with Brandons offer.
ken

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
Thanks everyone .... I'm talking to Brandon. I appreciate everyone's suggestions! OK ... now, what are everyone's favorites for a biscuit-jointer?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Good Morning Jim,

Congrats on the 6" jointer. Sounds like you have your timing just about right. :eusa_clap Capitalize!!!

I have had a Dewalt DW682K biscuit joiner for about a year now. It has served me well, although I have primarily used it for aligning glue up panels. It has been bang-on accurate and very comfortable in the hand of a "novice". I like it a lot and sure that one would see a lot use around your shop. It is going for $179.00 at Lowes right now. You can get it for $159.00 with $20.00 off (promo.) and free shipping this week at Amazon.com. :-D I have dealt with them several times in the past and had not problems!

Wayne

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I had the Dewalt for a couple of years and liked it pretty well. It grew legs and walked away however. So when I was ready to replace it I found the PC on sale. I really like it as well. Maybe a little better than the Dewalt, but I haven't used it as much yet either. Think about the kind of joining you will be doing and take a look at the fence on any model you consider very closely. I felt like the PC got a slight nod over the Dewalt... but then again I think it's the old Fod/Chevy debate.

(As a suggestion, you might want to consider splitting this off as a new post to attract better attention.)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I have had the DeWalt for many years now with no complaint. If someone scoops you on Brandon's jointer, I will be selling a 6" Grizzly in a month or two when I get my antique restored. It's been a great machine but I had the opportunity to step up to a 12" and couldn't resist.

M

McRabbet

I've used the Dewalt DW682K for about four years and it's been spot-on every time -- I do use Porter Cable biscuits, so there is a plug for them as well! I concur with the Amazon.com deal -- you can't beat their price and delivery (and no contributions to the NC lottery fund, either).

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've got the Dewalt and love it. But I would consider the PC because of the interchangable blades and the ability to use their very small "face frame" biscuits.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I have the DeWalt also and have loved it. I concur with Dave's comment about the PC's ability to use the FF biscuits though. Might be worth looking at.

D L

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
My apologies to Steve & Brandon .... I didn't realize they live in the western part of the state. .... so ... I anyone has a good 6" floorstanding jointer for sale in the future and live within an hour or so of Durham, NC ... please let me know! I would like to get one soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS