Recommendations for Moving Heavy Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
I took delivery of a Noden Adjust-a-Bench today that has a solid 1.75 inch maple top. I need to move it to my detached shop, which is across my yard. This thing is extremely heavy, much more so than I thought it would be. I thought I'd be able to put it on my oversize dolly and roll it into the shop. However, its too heavy for me to lift up and secure it to the dolly. I was thinking of getting a co-worker to help me put it on some scaffolding platform I have and rolling it across my yard, using some plywood to keep the casters from sinking into the yard.

With the weather we're having, I'd like to do this as soon as possible before the top turns into a potato chip from the humidity. Does anyone else have a better idea? Other methods could include putting it on furniture dollys, strapping it on there and then use the same rolling method, but I'm afraid the dollys might twist out of alignment as I roll it across the yard. The top does seem to have a coat of something like maybe shellac all around it. Right now, its sitting in my carport underneath a blanket and still on the pallet.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Thanks Fred, another excellent idea. I have the wife on her way to pick up some of those forearm straps tonight from Northern Tool. If they don't work, I'll try your idea.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Hi Mike, thanks for the offer. I'll get back with you after my co-worker comes over in the morning. If we can move it with those forearm lifts, I might need to take you up on that offer to turn the bench right side up. I have to assemble the bench and then flip it right side up. The ironic thing is I got this bench because I have a temperamental back now :D. If I can get the bench into the shop in the morning, I should have it assembled by tomorrow afternoon.

striker

New User
Stephen
Forgive me as I haven't read the post in its entirety and this may not be appropriate but a quick thought I'll throw out is to use a series of rollers (pipe) under the base of the bench to roll it in place.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Just a thought since it's still on a pallet. Rent a pallet jack, use it to lift the bench up and put it on the back of a pickup truck. Take the pallet jack to your shop. Back the truck up to the shop. Use the pallet jack to get the pallet off the truck. Lower the jack and then move the bench to where you need it.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Hi Jim,

I thought about this before as well. I think this would be a great solution if my backyard wasn't currently soaking wet from all the rain in the past month. My father in law also has a tractor with fork lifts on it which would be perfect, but the backyard is just too swampy right now.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Forgive me as I haven't read the post in its entirety and this may not be appropriate but a quick thought I'll throw out is to use a series of rollers (pipe) under the base of the bench to roll it in place.

It worked for the ancient Engyptians! :)

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
If you know someone with a small trailer put on dollies and roll up ramps.

As one with a bad back can tell you: don't try to lift it manually.

You can use a ladder and a stout piece of lumber as a lever to lift each end onto the dolly.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Wow, you know Bob, that is another excellent idea. I never thought of using a ladder as leverage to move it onto a dolly. Everyone here has had ideas I haven't thought of.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry for the useless tip, but if your yard is anything like mine is now. A flat bottom boat would work better than a tractor.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Sorry for the useless tip, but if your yard is anything like mine is now. A flat bottom boat would work better than a tractor.

Ken, I haven't seen any useless tips yet, all are really good ones. I just moved it into the shop using Hank's idea and it worked really well, but all the tips would work really well if it wasn't so soggy outside.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ken, I haven't seen any useless tips yet, all are really good ones. I just moved it into the shop using Hank's idea and it worked really well, but all the tips would work really well if it wasn't so soggy outside.

A done deal and congrats. Those straps are pretty neat. How's your back?

The total shipping weight (bench/pallet, etc) should be on your Bill of Lading from the carrier if you're curious.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Hi Jeff,

Back is good :D. The shipping weight was 325lbs, and I'd probably put the pallet at 25 of those at the very most. The pallet was made out of 1/2" pine plywood. It was a bit flimsy and broke before it was taken off the truck. However, everything seems to have survived without damage. Once I have it assembled, I'll post a picture of it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have moved several large heavy items like that using a dolley. If you can lift it and get the dolley laying down under it. (may take the neighbor's help). Once one end is laying on the back of the colley, cargo strap it to the dolley. Then lift the other end and push/pull it to where you are going.

Also a big fan of the forearm lifters. I found mine at Lowe's.

Go

DaveD

New User
Dave
Use the pipes (need at least 3, more are better)from pipe clamps and four 8' or longer 2x4s. Lay the 2x on the ground like railroad rails. Overlap the ends a foot or so. Lay the pipes crossways on the 2x and the pallet on top of the pipes. Start pushing/pulling the pallet along the 2x 'rails'

As the pallet moves off of one pipe, move that to the front of the line. As you move off one set of 2x rails move them to the front of the line. Repeat until you get to where you are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS