Recommendations for Milling near RTP/Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeD

New User
Joe
Hello,

My neighbor and I have 3 great looking urban red maple logs between 13" and 25" in diameter. They have some spalting so we would like to have them milled and kiln dried.

Can anyone recommend or offer services for milling these logs and kiln drying them near the Research Triangle?

Thanks!
Joe

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
13" diameter is a little to small. You loose 2" a side. So that would leave you with a pith ridden 9x9 cant. Assuming the pith is straight and no more than 3" in diameter. You'll wind up with 4 or 5 4/4x9 boards plus a few 4/4x3 boards after the pith is ripped out - hardly worth the effort. And you say these are urban trees they most likely will have lots of knots from growing out in the open resulting poor grade lumber. Also beware of nails and tramp steel (yard sale signs / clothes lines / etc...) Yard trees are best cut about 6' off the ground since it's rare you find tramp steel higher than that in a tree. Unless there was a tree fort at one time.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Joe,

Check with Bob (KelLOGg is his user name). I understand that he is in Durham and offers saw milling services.

Steve H.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
If you are still looking for a sawyer near RTP, I am located 3 miles S of SouthPoint in Chatham Co.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS